For a quarter century, children have played on the hill next to the right field fence while neighbors chat in the stands and watch future major league stars. But Major League Baseball has proposed a contraction plan that could end those summer nights at Dodd and other parks across the natio
President of the Bluefield Blue Jays George McGonagle and former Princeton Rays General Manager Jim Holland were two of the 13 people elected to the Appalachian League Hall of Fame it was announced Wednesday.
Bluefield Blue Jays General Manager Rocky Malimasura says he’s as uncertain as anyone with regard to the future of the Appalachian League, which is under threat of being eliminated under current negotiations between Minor League Baseball and Major League Baseball.
The NFL has long planned a year-long celebration for its 100th season this year. But the game’s most prominent position has yet to join the party.
WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS — Harold Varner lll came into A Military Tribute at The Greenbrier as anything but a favorite to win. At 50-1, his odds …
Over the years, the annual West Virginia PGA Tour stop has been mostly known for its kindness to first-time winners and helping veteran Tour players get back inside the winner’s circle.
A total of 41,504,077 fans passed through the gates at Minor League Baseball games in 2019, marking the 15th consecutive season that Minor League Baseball’s 176 teams in 15 leagues drew more than 40 million fans.
The P-Rays hammered out 13 hits — including two home runs — in a 13-5 Appalachian League road win over the Pulaski Yankees and two out of three Burlington pitchers threw no-hit ball and the Royals spoiled the Blue Jays’ penultimate home game of the season at Bowen Field.
This Week's Circulars
2 p.m., at the Tazewell Presbyterian Church in Tazewell, Va. Entombment will follow at Grandview Memory Gardens Mausoleum, Bluefield, Va.
2 p.m., at the Cravens-Shires Funeral Home Chapel in Bluefield (Bluewell). Internment will follow at Grandview Memory Gardens, Bluefield, Va.
2 p.m., memorial service at Seaver Funeral Home in Princeton.
11 a.m., at Seaver Funeral Home in Princeton. Burial will follow at Athens Cemetery, Athens.
PRINCETON - Bobby Howerton, 76 of Princeton died Sunday, December 8, 2019. Born May 4, 1943 at Lamar he was the son of the late William and Nellie Howerton. Bobby was a coal miner having retired from Eastern Associated Coal and was a member of UMWA. He kept his neighborhood clean by picking …
- Guilty! Jury convicts Mills in decapitation case
- Timeline to murder: Father testifies he lied about finding son’s headless body
- Decapitation trial begins: Defense fires opening salvo at victim’s father
- Left it all on the field: Bluefield dedicates hard-fought season to Lil’ Tony’s memory
- Second Amendment sanctuary: Tazewell County votes to support right to bear arms
- Tazewell County residents, officials honor long-time teacher, public servant Jones
- Monroe County ambulance fee lawsuit voluntarily dismissed
- Princeton man charged with sexually abusing two juveniles
- Bench warrant issued after Princeton woman fails to show up for sentencing hearing
- Warrants for December 8, 2019