INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Seven-time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson has tested positive for the coronavirus and will miss this weekend's race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
His N-95 mask squarely in place, Mike Trout stroked line drives, streaked around the bases and caught flyballs at Angel Stadium. The sport’s b…
There will be no professional baseball at Bowen or Hunnicutt Field this year but Bluefield has already set up a travel ball league of local teams that will begin Monday.
Former Bluefield General Manager George E. Fanning, longtime first base coach Lenny Johnston and infielder Bobby Grich were among the 18 people elected to the Appalachian League Hall of Fame.
We need our sports – not at the expense of risking lives, which creates a terrible predicament for those who run the sports and work in medicine — but we need a distraction, a stimulant, entertainment and something to marvel at.
While the somewhat distant future of Minor League Baseball remains in question, the here and now took a kick in the pants on Tuesday.
Even on a day when he was given a shiny plaque with his name on it, Jim Holland remained humble and thankful at his induction ceremony into th…
BLUEFIELD — There will be no professional baseball in Mercer County in 2020 as the MLB informed Minor League Baseball that it will not be send…
Jim Holland’s familiar smile was on full display again on Monday as the hard-working former baseball administrator was inducted into the new Appalachian League Hall of Fame.
Since the late 1940s, George McGonagle has been walking the confines of Bowen Field, soaking up baseball lore and toiling on behalf of the sport he loves. The Appalachian League became the latest to honor Bluefield’s premier ambassador of baseball by naming him to its new league hall of fame.
PRINCETON — The Princeton Rays will hold a ceremony Monday to induct former general manager Jim Holland into the Appalachian League Hall of Fame.
Baseball at Bowen Field has always been a huge part of George McGonagle’s life and on Friday he was honored for his contributions to professional baseball.
This Week's Circulars
James Bayne "Pete" Brooks, 61, of Admiral Lane in Bluefield, VA died Monday, July 6, 2020 at Ruby Memorial in Morgantown. The visitation for Pete will be held on Thursday, July 9, 2020 from 6:00 PM until 8:00 PM at the Cravens-Shires Funeral Home. Funeral services will be held 2:00 PM Friday…
11 a.m. in the chapel of Fredeking Funeral Service in Oakvale.
2 p.m. at Peery & St. Clair Funeral Home in Tazewell, Va. Burial will follow at Grandview Memory Gardens in Bluefield, VA.
- Justice announces school won't start in West Virginia until September 8
- Mercer virus cases soaring — Officials: 5 hospitalizations,1 ‘transient’ death during pandemic
- Father charged with shooting son in Tazewell
- Another pleads guilty in Larry Price Jr. laundering scheme
- Mercer County reports three new coronavirus cases
- Mercer County COVID-19 cases rise to 50, more cases found in Virginia
- Three people hospitalized in Mercer County due to COVID-19
- Gov. Justice considering penalties for non-compliance of mask order
- Masks are now required in West Virginia, Justice announces
- Tazewell reconsidering statue: Petitions about courthouse Confederate soldier may lead to November referendum