PRINCETON — A house fire following an explosion within the home sent one to the hospital on Saturday afternoon.

According to Princeton Fire Chief Chad Bailey, the incident occurred at approximately 10:15 a.m. on Saturday. "The home was a total loss due to the explosion," Bailey said. "My understanding was the resident lit a cigarette and the home exploded."

Bailey said the unidentified subject was transported to Princeton Community Hospital. "They found the house on fire with one victim outside the structure," Bailey said. "The patient was transported to Princeton Community Hospital." 

The incident occurred at 1024 Hinton Street in Princeton. "It was a single story home," Bailey said. "It was investigated by the West Virginia State Fire Marshal's office. The cause was accidental. One injury only."

Bailey said the explosion might have been triggered by a gas leak. "We're not sure," Bailey said. "That's what we think happened." 

Princeton Fire Department, Princeton Police, Princeton Rescue Squad, East River Fire Department, and Green Valley Volunteer Fire Department, all responded to the incident.                       

— Contact Blake Stowers at bstowers@bdtonline.com

Recommended for you