FALLS MILLS, Va. — A fire that destroyed a Tazewell County home late Monday night was electrical in origin, officials said Tuesday.

The blaze was reported at 7:55 p.m. Monday on Post Road in the Falls Mills community. Firefighters were on the scene of the blaze until about 10:30 p.m. The single story structure was a complete loss.

“When we arrived it was basically coming through the roof,” Tom Richardson, assistant fire chief of the Bluefield, Va. Fire Department, said. “The lady in the house didn’t realize it was on fire until it basically had come out of the roof. She basically advised the house was on fire, and she exited the residence.”

Richardson said the woman was the only person in the house. No injuries were reported.

“The house is basically a complete loss although some content we were able to recover,” Richardson said.

Richardson said the fire originated in a breaker box, and was electrical in nature.

The Bluefield, Va. Fire Department responded to the scene with three fire trucks and 15 firefighters. Richardson said the firefighters were able to get the blaze under control in about 20 minutes. The Bluefield, Va. Rescue Squad also responded to the fire.

– Contact Charles Owens at cowens@bdtonline.com

Trending Video

Recommended for you