- Sports column
Good luck throwing the flag on racial slurs, profanity in football
The vernacular of football assaults the ears. And while the NFL should clean it up - especially intimidation, harassment and racial slurs - rules on language will be hard to enforce.
February 27, 2014 1 Photo
Will instant replay settle baseball's furies?
Baseball is slow to move away from tradition, and its long-awaited instant replay could eliminate some of the game's most exciting spectacles - on-field showdowns between managers and umpires.
February 25, 2014 1 Photo
Column: Memories rekindled on Tazewell Co. hoops circuit
February 24, 2014
Limiting college football's offense creates clear winners and losers
The rules of college football could soon change to limit teams from snapping the ball until 29 seconds or less remain on the play clock. The rule would handicap quick offenses and benefit teams with deep defenses. What does it mean for fans? That depends on what kind of football you like to watch.
February 19, 2014 1 Photo
Column: Basketball postseason has a new look in Virginia
February 16, 2014
Winter Olympics mystify American sports fans
What's a halfpipe and why would somebody want to slide down one? How do judges score figure skating? Unless you live next to a ski resort, the Winter Olympics sure are hard to love.
February 13, 2014 1 Photo
Critical times ahead for Hokies
February 12, 2014
Will Marcus Smart's hoop dreams rebound from confrontation with fan?
Marcus Smart wasn't having the season he imagined when Oklahoma State visited Lubbock last weekend, and everything really came apart with the sophomore guard shoved a loud-mouthed fan. Serving a three-game suspension is the easy part for Smart. Repairing his reputation will be harder.
February 12, 2014 1 Photo
Column: This week, love is in the air — for baseball fans
February 10, 2014
Walker excited about new prospects at Bluefield College
February 9, 2014
- More Sports column Headlines
- Good luck throwing the flag on racial slurs, profanity in football
- Local Sports
- Mavericks power way past Greater Beckley Christian in slugfest 7 days
- Dogs bite G-Men 8 days 1 Photo
- Wagner continues to share knowledge with young players 8 days 1 Photo
- Flynt proves one is never too old to follow dreams 8 days 2 Photos
- Raiders claim seventh straight victory 8 days
- Lady Panthers rip Lady Bobcats 17-4 8 days
- McDowell Hall names new inductees 8 days
- Shreve and Sutherland pitch Haysi to shut win over Grundy 8 days
- Appearance by Beamer highlights Orange and Maroon Caravan 9 days 1 Photo
- Area nurses learn fitness from renown instructors 9 days 2 Photos
- Common Core State Standards Initiative has uncommonly bad problems 23 days
- Back-to-back state championships will stand in the record books 24 days 1 Photo
- Schools, unions, mysteries, more 25 days
- Open for business, but always ‘wild and wonderful’ in many hearts 25 days 1 Photo
- Richmond takes teen tone as students hold Model General Assembly 26 days
- The secrets of March Madness 27 days 1 Photo
- Think Viking, think pillaging and laughter minus the helmet horns 27 days
- Some of the nation’s unsolved mysteries have become part of our folklore 28 days 1 Photo
- The out-of-town press takes another ‘wrong turn’ in portraying our region 29 days 1 Photo
- Climate change: What 150 years of global warming has done to Earth 30 days
- NDN Video
- Donnie Tyndall Named Tennessee Head Coach Pineda: Put pine tar because he didn't want to hit anyone Farrell on Pineda: 'When it's that obvious, something has to be said' Wrigley Field celebrates 100th birthday Phelps returns to the pool Tour Confidential: What Impact Will Tiger's Absence Have on Golf? Pujols joins 500 club Wall: 'This was a make or break year for me' Klatt's Mock Draft: Top 10 Klatt's Mock Draft: Late 1st round Marcus Spears: Cowboys Needs on Draft Day Could Bridgewater Make Scouts Look Foolish? NFL Draft: Will Manziel Be Off The Board By Pick No. 4? Manchester Utd sack manager David Moyes Race to avoid Premier League relegation heats up The many faces of Mike Woodson Draft Preview: Ego Ferguson Chelsea, Atletico set to do battle in Champions League With The Twelfth Pick, The New York Giants Select... Rosenthal: Trout's contract was a compromise