- Sports column
Will instant replay settle baseball's furies?
Baseball is slow to move away from tradition, and its long-awaited instant replay could eliminate some of the game's most exciting spectacles - on-field showdowns between managers and umpires.
February 25, 2014 1 Photo
Column: Memories rekindled on Tazewell Co. hoops circuit
February 24, 2014
Limiting college football's offense creates clear winners and losers
The rules of college football could soon change to limit teams from snapping the ball until 29 seconds or less remain on the play clock. The rule would handicap quick offenses and benefit teams with deep defenses. What does it mean for fans? That depends on what kind of football you like to watch.
February 19, 2014 1 Photo
Column: Basketball postseason has a new look in Virginia
February 16, 2014
Winter Olympics mystify American sports fans
What's a halfpipe and why would somebody want to slide down one? How do judges score figure skating? Unless you live next to a ski resort, the Winter Olympics sure are hard to love.
February 13, 2014 1 Photo
Critical times ahead for Hokies
February 12, 2014
Will Marcus Smart's hoop dreams rebound from confrontation with fan?
Marcus Smart wasn't having the season he imagined when Oklahoma State visited Lubbock last weekend, and everything really came apart with the sophomore guard shoved a loud-mouthed fan. Serving a three-game suspension is the easy part for Smart. Repairing his reputation will be harder.
February 12, 2014 1 Photo
Column: This week, love is in the air — for baseball fans
February 10, 2014
Walker excited about new prospects at Bluefield College
February 9, 2014
Padded caps may be unpopular but pitchers will eventually accept them
Ballplayers will protect their images and livelihoods, but no one doubts the game's perils or the need for protection. Anyone who does should remember what happened to Herb Score.
February 6, 2014 1 Photo
- More Sports column Headlines
- Will instant replay settle baseball's furies?
- Local Sports
- Maroon Tide rolls past G-Men with 13 in 4th 5 days 1 Photo
- Tazewell vs. Richlands: Familiar rivals meet for Coppinger title 5 days
- Scholarship ensures... McPherson’s memory lives 6 days 1 Photo
- There was love in the air 6 days 1 Photo
- Prep, college briefs: Eades, Clements to play in North-South Classic 6 days
- Flying Eagles soar by Princeton 6 days 1 Photo
- Prep roundup: Graham G-Girls shut out Galax in soccer 6 days
- Richlands topples Princeton in extra innings 7 days 1 Photo
- Tazewell out-hits Beavers, advance to Coppinger finals 7 days 1 Photo
- Princeton, Bluefield girls tennis unbeaten 7 days
- Think Viking, think pillaging and laughter minus the helmet horns 19 days
- Some of the nation’s unsolved mysteries have become part of our folklore 20 days 1 Photo
- The out-of-town press takes another ‘wrong turn’ in portraying our region 21 days 1 Photo
- Climate change: What 150 years of global warming has done to Earth 22 days
- A search for relics ignites a desire to search for understanding 23 days 1 Photo
- Speeding, stabbing, scripture, more 23 days
- Warm days, crocus blooms signal arrival of spring fever epidemic 24 days 1 Photo
- One World Trade Center evokes admiration to Bluefield’s soaring symbol 25 days
- Washington may have offered a prophetic description of our own time 26 days
- Write away: Cursive skills provide valuable link to historical information 27 days 1 Photo
- NDN Video
- Boomer: Chris Johnson signing will work for Jets NHL playoff preview: Boston Bruins vs. Detroit Red Wings NHL playoff preview: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Montreal Canadiens NFL Draft 2014 Team Needs - Dallas Cowboys NHL playoff preview: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Columbus Blue Jackets NHL Western Conference playoff preview Swim Daily, Throwback Thursday Damian Lillard's Oakland upbringing Niners' legal troubles Michael Phelps Set to Come Out of Retirement NFL Draft 2014 Team Needs - Carolina Panthers NFL Draft 2014 Team Needs - Atlanta Falcons Too Hot or Too Cold: Brewers and Rangers NFL Draft 2014 Team Needs - Baltimore Ravens NFL Draft 2014 Team Needs - Arizona Cardinals NFL Draft 2014 Team Needs – Oakland Raiders NFL Draft 2014 Team Needs – Houston Texans NFL Draft 2014 Team Needs – Jacksonville Jaguars Marcus Spears on the Wonderlic test Bubba Watson's Response to a Question About Last Year's Masters is Priceless