Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV

May 16, 2012

Idaho man bitten by rattlesnake at Walmart

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

SALMON, Idaho — An Idaho man was bitten by a rattlesnake in the garden section of a Walmart when he attempted to pick up a bag of mulch.

According to MSNBC, Mica Craig, 47, reached down to brush off what he thought was a stick on a bag of mulch and instead felt a sharp pain in two fingers on his right hand. After realizing he had been bitten by the snake, Craig pulled it off and stomped the snake to death.

A fellow customer rushed the married father of two to a nearby hospital where he was treated for swelling. Craig was released from the hospital, but after his hand swelled to a size of a grapefruit he was treated with six bags of anti-venom. Craig told a local radio station, KIRO FM, he now has trouble moving the fingers that were bitten.

Craig said he was at the store to buy mulch for the medical marijuana he grows under an Idaho state license. He was at the Clarkston, Washington, Walmart when the incident occurred.

Officials are still unsure how they snake found its way into the bag of mulch, and the Walmart store said they are now working with pest management officials to make sure there is “no additional rattlesnake activity.” Wal-mart Stores Inc. apologized to Craig for what they called “an isolated incident.”