Ropes are a common toy that pet owners should avoid. A string can get caught in the animal’s intestinal tract as a “linear foreign body," he said, which may act like a saw inside the intestines as the animal continues to pass it.
“This is similar to them getting a rope burn on the inside of their intestines,” he said. “It can kill them. Nothing with string of any sort is good for them.”
After giving a dog toys, Stickney said, it's important to watch the pet for a few hours.
“You need to watch them to make sure they are not going to end up hurting themselves on it by tearing it into pieces, swallowing it, or cutting themselves on it,” he said.
Once you know your pets can’t get into trouble with their new toys, it is fine to leave them alone.
“That is the beauty of having things that enrich their lives,” he said. “This way, they have something to do when the fun people are out of the house for a while. It keeps them busy.”
Pet Talk is a service of the College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences, Texas A&M University.