• Melvin Lee Dowdy, 82, of Collins Avenue in Pembroke, Va., died Thursday, Dec. 20, 2007 at Roanoke Memorial Hospital in Roanoke, Va. Kendall Funeral Home in Pembroke is in charge of arrangements.
• Osie L. Flint, 90, of Ballard, died Friday, Dec. 21, 2007 at Carilion Giles Memorial Hospital, Pearisburg, Va. Arrangements are incomplete at Broyles-Shrewsbury Funeral Home, Peterstown.
• Eva Jonelle Gibson, 53, of Narrows, Va., died Thursday, Dec. 20, 2007 at Montgomery Regional Hospital, Blacksburg, Va. Arrangements are incomplete at Broyles-Shrewsbury Funeral Home, Peterstown.
• Virginia Ann “Van” Hess, 66, of Morristown, Tenn., formerly of Richlands, Va., died Thursday, Dec. 20, 2007. Funeral arrangements are incomplete at Singleton Funeral Service at Cedar Bluff, Va.
• Monica Lynn (Wisecup) Lemon, 37, of Davin, died Thursday, Dec. 20, 2007, at Logan Regional Medical Center, Logan. Mounts Funeral Home of Gilbert is in charge of arrangements.
• Roger Lee Martin, 61, of Doe Creek Road in Pembroke, Va., died Thursday, Dec. 20, 2007, at UVA Hospital in Charlottesville, Va. Kendall Funeral Home in Pembroke is in charge of arrangements.
• Andrew Jack Workman, 97, or Route 1, Box 93 (Harman School Road), Princeton, died Friday, Dec. 21, 2007 at Princeton Community Hospital. Arrangements will be announced by Cravens-Shires Funeral Home in Bluewell.
• Patricia Wroaten, 64, of Tazewell, Va., died Friday, Dec. 21, 2007. Funeral arrangements are incomplete at Peery & St.Clair Funeral Home in Tazewell.
Mrs. Frances Victoria Martin Lester
CEDAR BLUFF, Va. — Mrs. Frances Victoria Martin Lester, age 86, of the Repass community of Cedar Bluff, Va., passed away Thursday, December 20, 2007 in a Lebanon, Va. hospital following a lengthy illness.
She was born in Lebanon, Va., and was the daughter of the late Ballard and Daisy McAllister Martin.
She had made her home in the Repass community all of her life and was a former seamstress for Honaker Mills and avid gardener who had a love for her pretty flowers. She had been a member of the Bradshaw Memorial Church since 1941 and was a graduate of Lebanon High School.
In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her husband, Peery Lester Sr.; one daughter, Norma Sparks; one grandson, Ricky Lester; two sisters, Elizabeth Wysor and Lucille Gammon; and three brothers, George, Henry, and James Martin. She was the last surviving member of her immediate family.
Survivors are: One son: Peery E. Lester Jr. and wife, Louise of Cedar Bluff, Va.; one son in law: Bob Sparks of North Wilkesboro, N.C.; two granddaughters: Susan Short and husband, Donnie of North Wilkesboro, N.C., Kim Statzer and husband, Tony of Lebanon, Va.; one grandson: Gregg Sparks and wife, Nicole of Radford, Va.; seven great-grandchildren: Heather Short, Brandon Short, Derick Lester, Jonathan Statzer, Kelly Statzer, Destiny Sparks, and Christian Sparks
Funeral services for Frances M. Lester will be conducted today (Saturday), December 22, 2007 at 7:00 p.m. at the Hurst-Scott Funeral Chapel in Richlands, Va. with the Bro. Dan Bowling officiating. Interment will follow at 2:00 p.m. Sunday at Russell Memorial Cemetery at Lebanon, Va. Family and friends will serve as pallbearers. Friends may call from 5:00 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. Saturday (today) at the Hurst-Scott Funeral Home in Richlands, Va.
Hurst-Scott Funeral Home in Richlands, Va. is in charge of arrangements and those wishing to express sympathy online may do so at www.hurstscottfuneralhomes.com
Paul Ray Morgan
PRINCETON — Paul Ray Morgan, 88, of the Glenwood Park Retirement Village, formerly of 1405 1/2 East Main St. in Princeton, died Tuesday, December 18, 2007, at Princeton Community Hospital. Born November 14, 1919 he was the son of the late Harry B. and Elice Smith Morgan.
Paul was a retired aircraft and engine mechanic for Eastern Airlines in Miami, Fla., and was a graduate of the Miami based Emery-Riddle Aviation School. He was a member of the Princeton Presbyterian Church. Paul served his country in the U.S. Air Force. He had been a resident of Princeton since 1984 moving here from Miami.
In addition to his parents, six brothers preceded him in death.
Survivors include his wife of 67 years, Janice McGlothlin Morgan of Princeton; two sons, Paul R. Morgan Jr. and his wife Hope of Port St. Lucie, Fla. and Ronald Richard Morgan of Miami, Fla.; four grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.
In keeping with his wishes the body has been cremated. Memorial services will be conducted 2:00 p.m. Sunday, December 23, 2007, at the George W. Seaver Chapel of Seaver Funeral Home in Princeton with the Rev. Nancy Cale officiating. Friends may call at Seaver Funeral Home from 1:00 p.m. to the service hour on Sunday.
The family requests that in lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to a favorite charity or that you simply say a prayer of thanksgiving for having Paul in our lives.
Seaver Funeral Home in Princeton is serving the Morgan family.
To leave personal condolences online, visit www.legacy.com
Raymond Joseph “Joe” Remines
TAZEWELL, Va. — Raymond Joseph “Joe” Remines, age 58, of Tazewell, Va., passed away Friday, December 21, 2007 at this home.
Born November 22, 1949 in Tazewell County, Va., he was a son of Daisy May Gillespie Remines of the Thompson Valley community of Tazewell County, Va. and the late Clinton Andrew Remines. He was a lifelong resident of Tazewell County.
In addition to his father, he was preceded in death by one granddaughter, Cynthia Lee Smith and one son in law, Chris Parsons.
Survivors in addition to his mother include three daughters, Kathy Parsons and Cindy Remines both of Tazewell, Va., Trish McCroskey and husband Eddie of Jenkin Jones; one son, Tommy Remines of Tazewell, Va.; one sister, Dorothy Morrison of Abingdon, Va.; four brothers, Howard Remines of Rockville, Md., James Remines of Tazewell, Va., Frank Remines of Charlotte, N.C. and Johnny Remines of Saltville, Va.; eight grandchildren, E.J. McCroskey, Brittney McCroskey, LeAnne McCroskey, Ashley Parsons, Alex Parsons, Shantell Parsons, Lindsey Sawyers, and Jadien Remines; special friends, Jimmy Neel and wife, Joan and Gene Harris.
Funeral services will be conducted at 2:00 p.m. Sunday, December 23, 2007 at Peery & St.Clair Funeral Home Chapel in Tazewell, Va. Burial will follow at Pleasant Hill Cemetery in Thompson Valley, Va. Pallbearers will be Jimmy Neel, Gene Harris, Eddie McCroskey, Scottie Porterfield and Tommy Davis.
The family will receive friends Sunday, December 23, 2007 after 1:00 p.m. at the funeral home.
To leave personal condolences online, visit www.legacy.com
Edward A. Robertson
PETERSTOWN — Edward A. Robertson, 81, of Peterstown, passed away Thursday, December 20, 2007 at Princeton Community Hospital. Born June 8, 1926, he was the son of the late Andrew and Zettia Rice Robertson.
Mr. Robertson served as Superintendent and Vice President of Hinkle and McCoy, T.D. Bross, and Hoosier Engineering retiring there in 1984.
In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by two sons: Richard Edgar and Charles Edward Robertson; one sister, Elizabeth Sibold; and one brother, Irvin Hampton Robertson.
Survivors include his loving wife, Pansy Clark Robertson; one son, Porter Robertson and wife Melissa of Peterstown; one daughter, Brenda Webb and husband Jim of Rural Hall, N.C.; seven grandchildren, Andrew and Taylor Robertson, C.J. and Katie Webb, Ricky and Betty Robertson, Angela and Brad Sharp, Ashley and Rob Jones; four great grandchildren; one nephew, Wayne Sibold; one niece, Mary Ann White.
Funeral Services will be 3:00 p.m. Sunday, December 23, 2007 at Broyles-Shrewsbury Funeral Home Chapel with the Reverend Jonathon Jennings officiating. Friends may call from 1:30 p.m. until time of services on Sunday. Online guest book can be signed or condolences sent to the Robertson family at www.broyles-shrewsbury.com.
Arrangements made by Broyles-Shrewsbury Funeral Home Peterstown.
Anna May Wheeler-Clark
GREEN VALLEY — Anna May Wheeler-Clark, 77, of Green Valley, went to be with the Lord on Thursday, December 20, 2007. Born July 4, 1930 in Baltimore, Md., she was the daughter of the late Joseph Walter Wheeler and Alice Leona Wheeler.
Mrs. Clark has been a resident of Green Valley for 35 years. She retired from the WV Department of Health and Human Resources and attended Full Gospel Assembly Church.
In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her husband, Lake E. Clark; two sons, Arnold Smith and Daniel Smith; and one stepson, David Clark.
Left to cherish her memory include two daughters, Patricia Skipworth and her husband Wayne of Virginia and Shirley Duff and her husband Claude of Green Valley; one son, Ronald Clark and his wife Jackie of Princeton; stepchildren, Lake E. Clark Jr. and his wife Delorise and Kenneth Clark all of Florida, William Clark and Brenda Coburn and her husband Rick all of Maryland and James Clark and his wife Debbie of West Virginia; one sister, Mildred Kellenbenz of Glenwood; one brother, Bud Wheeler and his wife Shirley of North Carolina; and a host of grandchildren, great-grandchildren, nieces and nephews.
Funeral services will be conducted at 11:00 a.m. Sunday, December 23, 2007 at the Rowland H. Bailey Funeral Chapel of the Bailey-Kirk Funeral Home in Princeton with the Rev. James Coburn officiating. Interment will follow at Oakwood Cemetery in Princeton.
Friends may call today from 6-8 p.m. at the Bailey-Kirk Funeral Home in Princeton. Online condolences may be sent to the family at www.bailey-kirk.com.
Funerals scheduled today include:
• William Jerome Flack: Noon, Greater Mount Zion Pentecostal Church in Bluefield. Interment will follow at Woodlawn Cemetery, Bluewell.
• Miss Eleanor Tracy Hall: 11 a.m., First Presbyterian Church in Bluefield. Burial will follow at Monte Vista Park Cemetery, Green Valley.
• Eunice Pauline Panciera: Noon, Tazewell Baptist Church in Tazewell, Va. Burial will follow at Shady Grove Cemetery, Skygusty.
• William M. Pyne Jr.: 1 p.m., Broyles-Shrewsbury Funeral Home Chapel in Peterstown. Burial will follow at Pine Grove Memorial Gardens Cemetery, Lindside.
• Betty Mae (McKinney) Smith: 11 a.m., Rowland H. Bailey Funeral Chapel in Princeton. Interment will be at Bailey Cemetery, Clarks Gap.
• Levi Smith: 2 p.m., A. Vest & Sons Funeral Home in White Gate, Va. Burial in Shiloh Cemetery, Hollybrook.
• Joseph Andrew “Joe” Williams: 11 a.m., Burns Wornal Chapel of Memorial Funeral Directory on the Athens Road in Princeton. Burial will follow in Resthaven Memorial Park Cemetery, Princeton.