• Tina Lynn Poe (Woods) Chaffins, 35, of Wharncliffe, formerly of Isaban, died Saturday, March 3, 2007 at her residence. Mounts Funeral Home of Gilbert is in charge of arrangements.
• Bill C. Edwards, of 7372 LaMarre Circle, Roanoke, Va., died Monday, March 5, 2007 at University of Virginia Hospital in Charlottesville, Va. Arrangements are incomplete at Mercer Funeral Home & Crematory of Bluefield.
• Mrs. G.W. (June) Lavender, of Wilmington, N.C., formerly of Bluefield, died March 4, 2007. Information submitted by Mercer Funeral Home & Crematory of Bluefield.
• Robert E. Lockhart, 80, of P.O. Box 81, Bramwell, died Monday, March 5, 2007 at Bluefield Regional Medical Center. Arrangements are incomplete at Cravens-Shires Funeral Home in Bluewell.
• Barbara J. Lowe, 51, of Atwell, died March 6, 2007 at her residence. Arrangements by Fanning Funeral Home Inc., Iaeger.
• Lewellyn Martin, 84, of Hoges Chapel near Pembroke, Va., died Tuesday, March 6, 2007 at Montgomery Regional Hospital in Blacksburg, Va. Kendall Funeral Home of Pembroke is in charge of arrangements.
• Lillian Marie Shrewsbury, 72, of 513 Straley Ave., Princeton, died Tuesday, March 6, 2007 at Princeton Community Hospital. Arrangements are incomplete the Bailey-Kirk Funeral Home in Princeton.
• Gladys Orey Stevens, 94, of Narrows, Va., died Tuesday, March 6, 2007. Riffe’s Funeral Service of Narrows is in charge of arrangements.
Walter Jack Akers
PRINCETON — Walter Jack Akers, 81, of RR 4, Princeton, died Tuesday, March 6, 2007 at his home. Born Oct. 22, 1925 in Tazewell, Va., he was the son of the late Alex Akers and Sarah Hylton Akers.
Mr. Akers had been a resident of the Princeton area all of his life. He was retired from the Mercer County Board of Education having served for several years as custodian at Princeton Senior High School. Working on tractors was the love of his life. Mr. Akers was of the Baptist faith.
In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by three brothers, Reece, Joe and Jim and one sister, Carrie.
Survivors include his wife, Mary Elizabeth Hodges Akers of the home; two daughters, Gracie Elizabeth Neal and husband Albert and Ruby Ernestine Stump and husband David all of Princeton; two sons, Bennie Jackson Akers and wife Darless of Princeton and William Elden Akers and wife Pam of Bluefield; 10 grandchildren; 11 great grandchildren; and a special friend, his dog Heidi.
A graveside service will be conducted at 11:00 a.m. today at Roselawn Memorial Gardens in Princeton with the Rev. Larry Bailey officiating. Family and friends will serve as pallbearers.
Family and friends attending the graveside service are asked to meet at the cemetery at 11:00 a.m.
Arrangements by Bailey-Kirk Funeral Home in Princeton. Online condolences may be sent to the family at www.bailey-kirk.com.
Albert “Frize” Carpenter
ROCKY GAP, Va. — Albert “Frize” Carpenter, 66, of Rocky Gap, passed away Monday, March 5, 2007 at his residence. He was born Oct. 25, 1940 in Charleston, son of the late Russell E. and Della Layton Carpenter. He was preceded in death by a daughter, Lisa Elliott and a son, William E. Carpenter. He was a veteran of the United States Marine Corps and a member of Laurel Fork Baptist Church.
He is survived by his wife, Ruby Carpenter of Tazewell, Va.; two sons, Mark and Deborah Carpenter of Rocky Gap, John Blankenship and Libby Donaldson of Tazewell; one daughter, Della Carpenter of Fayetteville, N.C.; three sisters, Nancy and Leslie Montgomery, Argathia Carpenter, Geneva Corby all of Jacksonville, Fla.; two brothers, Lloyd and Patricia Carpenter, Paul and Jeri Carpenter all of Charleston; special brothers-in-law, Jarva Lee, Roger Lee, Marshall Lee.
Funeral services will be held Thursday, March 8, 2007 at 2:00 p.m. at the Bland Funeral Chapel with the Rev. Omar Burns officiating. Interment will follow in Rosehill Cemetery.
The family will receive friends Thursday from 12:00 noon until service time at the funeral home.
Highland Bland Funeral Chapel, Bland, Va. is in charge of arrangements.
Annette E. Elliott
MARION, Ohio — Annette E. Elliott, 46, of Marion, Ohio, formerly of Bluefield, died Saturday, March 3, 2007, in Green Camp, Ohio, following a battle with lung cancer.
Born Jan. 24, 1961, in Marion, she was the daughter of Pearly Stevens of Newport, Ohio, and Sylvia Propps of Oak Hill. She was an employment specialist with the Marion Area Counseling Center until 2005. She was a graduate of Bluefield State College where she received a Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice.
She was preceded in death by one brother, Ricky Dana Edwards.
In addition to her parents, survivors include one son, Johnathon Herring of Marion, Ohio; one daughter, Arlene Dwire of Green Camp, Ohio; five brothers, Roger Edwards of Marion, Ohio, Mike Stevens of Phoenix, Ariz., Lloyd Stevens of Nitro, Darryl Stevens and Doyle Stevens, both of Newport, Ohio; seven sisters, Eileen Bullock of Alpine, Texas, Elaine Greenawalt of Marion, Ohio, Arlene Thomas of Green Valley, Sandy Propps-Neal of Page, Diane Gilmore, Denise Blouir, and Debbie Pryor, all of Newport, Ohio; two grandsons, Dray and Skyler Dwire; one granddaughter, Addison Dwire; and a multitude of nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, cousins, and other loved ones too numerous to list.
A memorial service will be held at 2:00 p.m. Thursday, March 8, 2007, at the Hughes-Allen Funeral Home in Marion, Ohio, with Chaplain Daniel Kiger officiating. She will be interred at the Green Camp Cemetery in Green Camp, Ohio, at a later date.
The family has requested memorial contributions be made to the Annette Elliott Memorial Fund, c/o Fahey Bank, 127 N. Main St., Marion, OH 43302.
Information submitted by Seaver Funeral Home in Princeton.
Darrell Dean Mack
MATOAKA — Darrell Dean Mack, 66, of Route 1, Box 216, Matoaka, died Sunday, March 4, 2007 at Charleston Area Medical Center following a long illness. Born Dec. 10, 1940 at Weyanoke, he was the son of the late Frank and Mae Short Mack.
Mr. Mack was a veteran of the U. S. Army, having served in Vietnam and Korea. He served four years in the West Virginia National Guard and five years in the Regular Army, being honorably discharged with the rank of SSgt E.6. He was a retired coal miner from Consol having worked 16 years at Crane Creek and six years at Buchanan, Va.
In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by two brothers, Carl Short and Paul Mack.
He is survived by his wife of 43 years, Bonnie Adams Mack of the home; three sons, Dana Mack and his wife Michelle and Damon Mack and his wife Ulana all of Princeton and Jason Mack of Matoaka; two daughters, Rhonda Thomason and her husband Tim of Princeton and Amanda Mack of the home; eight grandchildren, Candice Petrunger and her husband Josh, Amber Mack, Haylea Mack, Kaitlyn Mack, Taylor Mack, Stacie Mack, Casey Mack and Samuel Mack; two step-grandchildren, Jason Thomason and Steven Thomason; three sisters, Ruth Akers, Merlene Bailey and Ruby Hodge and her husband Jamie; and one brother, Charlie Mack and his wife Mildred.
Funeral services will be conducted at 11:00 a.m. Thursday, March 8, 2007 at the Rowland H. Bailey Funeral Chapel of the Bailey-Kirk Funeral Home in Princeton with the Rev. Kenneth Abram officiating. Interment will follow at Resthaven Memorial Park in Princeton where military honors will be conducted by the West Virginia Army National Guard Honor Guard.
Serving as pallbearers will be Dana Mack, Damon Mack, Jason Mack, Steven Mack, Chris Shrewsbury, Tim Thomason, Dewayne Bailey and David Bailey.
There will be a fellowship at Fairview Christian Community Church in Princeton following the burial.
The family requests that you consider memorial contributions to a favorite charity.
Friends may call today from 6-8 p.m. at the Bailey-Kirk Funeral Home in Princeton. Online condolences may be sent to the family at www.bailey-kirk.com.
Funerals scheduled today include:
• Amber Noel Massey: 2 p.m., Rowland H. Bailey Funeral Chapel of Bailey-Kirk Funeral Home in Princeton. Interment will follow at Roselawn Memorial Gardens, Princeton.
• Louise Peraldo Montgomery: 11 a.m., Burns Wornal Chapel of Memorial Funeral Directory on the Athens Road in Princeton. Burial will follow in Roselawn Memorial Gardens, Princeton.
• Max Strothers Whitaker: 1 p.m., Purcell Funeral Home in Bushnell, Fla. Interment will follow at Florida National Cemetery, Bushnell.