Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV

October 7, 2012

Princeton wins MSAC championship

Staff Writer
Bluefield Daily Telegraph

CHARLESTON — Princeton can add another first-time championship to its 2012 collection.

The girls soccer team defeated George Washington 2-0 on Saturday in the championship game of the Mountain State Athletic Conference, held at the Trace Fork Soccer Complex in Charleston.

“It’s just a huge win for us,” Princeton (14-1) coach Michelle Dye said. “We’re usually the underdogs. We’re ecstatic. For us to be able to compete with George Washington ... that usually doesn’t happen.”

A little more than five minutes into the match, Princeton’s Shaylah Walls dribbled the ball down the right side of the penalty box and uncorked a shot past Patriots backup keeper Catherine Geis for an unassisted goal.

With 11:06 left in the game, Princeton’s Sarah Cole executed a cross but the ball bounced off a GW defender in front of her own goal and went into the net for the 2-0 final margin.

The Princeton players on the sideline counted down the last 10 seconds then rushed onto the field to join in the celebration with the starters, who were jumping up and down hugging one another.

Princeton goalkeeper Meredith Putorek made five saves, including several athletic stops. Geis, a senior whose last regular stint as goalie was two years ago, made four saves to keep the Patriots close.

George Washington (11-3-1) reportedly played without several starters and key backups because of injuries and suspensions.

The Tigers were sixth in this week’s state coaches association rankings, and the Patriots were fourth.

“I think this has pumped (our players) up,” said Dye, whose team won its 10th straight. “They were so nervous we were never able to get into our game. They played with a lot of tension. The girls know they can play at that level. They’ll be able to breathe next time.”

George Washington first-year coach Derek Ragle said, “Princeton earned this win. Princeton played a heck of a game. We had some chances and we just didn’t finish and we gave up chances and they did.”

Tommy R. Atkinson of Charleston Newspapers provided information for this story.