Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV

November 20, 2013

Reasby faces prison sentence

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

PRINCETON — A Mercer County man was sentenced Tuesday in circuit court for his role in the 2012 death of a Montcalm resident.

David Reasby, 35, of Bluefield was found guilty on Aug. 29 of voluntary manslaughter, but not guilty of conspiracy, in the August 2012 death of 22-year-old Derek Tabor of Montcalm. Reasby had been indicted on a charge of first-degree murder.

Reasby appeared in Mercer County Circuit Court for sentencing Tuesday before Judge William Sadler. Reasby was sentenced to 15 years in prison plus an additional five years as a two-time habitual offender, according to information with the Mercer County Circuit Clerks Office. He was also given 332 days credit for the time he has spent in jail since his arrest.

With time off for good behavior, Reasby could complete the sentence within 10 years and be eligible for parole within five years, said Prosecuting Attorney Scott Ash.

Reasby was remanded back to the Southern Regional Jail in Beaver after Tuesday’s hearing.

Tabor was shot outside a residence on Fourth Street in Bluefield on Aug. 20, 2012. A friend drove him to the Bluefield Police Department where he was then taken by ambulance to Bluefield Regional Medical Center where he later died.

Ash told jurors during the trial’s closing arguments that Reasby did not fire the shot that killed Tabor. The motive behind the incident was that Reasby thought Tabor was a “snitch” that was talking about him to police.

During the trial, Ash and Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney George Sitler played recordings of telephone calls Reasby made at the Southern Regional Jail in Beaver to a pair of witnesses. Reasby asked them about changing their testimony or saying nothing by pleading the Fifth Amendment.

Another individual at the scene in August 2012, Deantrae Scaife, no age available, was a suspect in the shooting, Lt. C.S. Myers of the Bluefield Police Department said at Reasby’s trial. Scaife was in a Kentucky jail on federal drug charges.

— Contact Greg Jordan at