Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV

October 28, 2013

Chase turns fatal

State Police release name of man killed in police shootout

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

PEARISBURG, Va. — An investigation into a robbery and shooting on Friday led to a police chase through Giles County, Va., on Saturday that ended in a shootout and death to the primary suspect in the incident on Friday.

According to a media release issued Sunday evening by the Virginia State Police, Jonathan V. Robertson, 32, of Narrows, Va., was the main suspect in a robbery/shooting on Friday morning of another Giles County man. At about 4:35 p.m. on Saturday, a Virginia State Police special agent was assisting the Giles County Sheriff’s Office in the investigation of the Friday morning incident when investigators encountered Robertson and another unidentified man in a Chevrolet S-10 pickup truck that was blocking their path on Fletchers Mountain Road.

The investigators had to stop due to Robertson’s pickup blocking the road. When the special agent and the deputy identified themselves, Robertson displayed a weapon and opened fire on the two officers. The agent and the deputy returned fire. The male passenger in Robertson’s pickup truck “bailed” out of the vehicle as Robertson fled. The passenger, who was not identified in the press release, was not injured, and was taken into custody by the Giles County Sheriff’s Office. He was charged in connection with the robbery/shooting from Friday morning, and is being held without bond at New River Valley Regional Jail.

Robertson proceeded down Fletchers Mountain Road, drove across a stinger-spike strip that had been deployed by Giles County sheriff’s deputies, but didn’t stop although his tires were flattened by the spike strip, according to the press release. Robertson drove another 75 yards on to Narrows Road, where he engaged in another exchange of gunfire with sheriff’s deputies.

Robinson fled the Narrows Road scene in his pickup and continued to Thomas Drive in the Town of Pearisburg, Va., where he again fired on Giles County sheriff’s deputies and Town of Pearisburg police officers, who returned fire.

“Robertson was transported to Giles Memorial Hospital and was then flown to Roanoke Memorial Hospital, where he died shortly thereafter,” according to the state police press release. “His remains were taken to the office of the Medical Examiner in Roanoke, Va., for examination and autopsy. No law enforcement personnel were injured at any of the shooting scenes.”

In accordance with policy, the personnel of each agency that was involved in the shootings including the State Police, Giles County sheriff’s deputies and Town of Pearisburg were placed on administrative leave with pay while the incident is investigated, according to the press release.

Dispatchers with the Giles County Sheriff’s Office and the Virginia State Police directed media inquiries to Corinne Geller, public relations manager of the Virginia State Police administrative headquarters in Richmond, Va. Geller did not immediately return a voice mail message left Sunday night at her office telephone.

— Contact Bill Archer at