Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV

Local News

April 28, 2014

Cause of downtown Tazewell, Va. fire ruled electrical

TAZEWELL, Va. — Electricity was the source of a fire that destroyed a downtown Tazewell building the evening of New Year’s Eve, the town of Tazewell Police Department announced Monday.

A building housing GuRu’s Then & Now Thrift Store, Becker’s Jewel Box & Diamond, a law office and three apartments burned the evening of Dec. 31, 2013. The apartments’ occupants fled the building and firefighters managed to keep the blaze from spreading to neighboring structures.

Firefighters and city officials started inspecting the burned structure Jan. 1 to determine whether it should be demolished. The blaze’s extreme heat damaged masonry and the building’s steel beams.

After a careful examination of evidence, the cause of the blaze has been ruled electrical in origin, according to Tazewell Police chief DeWitt Cooper.

1
Text Only
Local News
National and World
Newspaper Deivery Routes Available
Sister Newspapers' News
Facebook
Local News Videos