As Halloween draws near, local officials are taking extra precautions for Thursday evening.
Most area law enforcement agencies are planning extra patrols for the holiday.
“We will be more vigilant on the roads for kids’ safety and for those acting up,” Sgt. A.P. Christian, of the West Virginia State Police Welch Detachment, said,
Tazewell County Sheriff Brian Hieatt said his department also will have extra deputies on patrol. Also, Dare Instructor Deputy Glen Keen will also be passing out Halloween bags to fifth-graders at all the Tazewell County elementary schools, and speaking about safety tips to follow on Halloween, Hieatt said.
“We will also have some Halloween bags at the sheriff’s office, if parents would like to stop by and pick one up for their children,” Hieatt said.
Mercer County Sheriff Don Meadows said, “We will have extra patrols out, but the kids have been good these past few years, so hopefully everyone will behave this year also.”
If you would like to participate in Halloween trick or treat in Bluefield, please have your front porch light on, Bluefield City Manager Jim Ferguson said.
The city of Gary will not participate in door-to-door trick-or-treat. But city hall will host a trick or trunk from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Halloween will be celebrated on Oct. 31, please check the times for your area.
— Contact Anne Elgin at email@example.com
• Bluefield, Oct. 31, 6 to 8 p.m.
• Iaeger, Oct. 31, 5 to 8 p.m.
• Richlands, Oct. 31, 5:30 to 8 p.m.
• Cedar Bluff Oct. 31, 6 to 8 p.m.
• Town of Tazewell, Oct. 31, 5:30 to 8 p.m.
• Bluefield, Va., Oct. 31, 5:30 to 8 p.m.
• Pocohantas, Oct. 31, 6 to 8 p.m.
• Bluewell, Oct. 31, 5:30 to 8 p.m.
• Princeton, Oct. 31, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
• Athens, Oct. 31, 6 to 8 p.m.
• Bramwell, Oct. 31, 5 to 7 p.m.
• Mercer County, Oct. 31, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
• Princeton Times, Oct. 31, 1:30 to 5:30 p.m.
• Princeton Renaissance Project on Mercer Street, Oct. 31, 6 p.m.
• Gary, Oct. 31 5:30 to 8 p.m. trick or trunk at Gary City Hall. No door to door trick or treat.
• Welch, Oct. 31, 6 to 8 p.m.
• Davy, Oct. 31