Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV

Local News

March 28, 2014

Local man burned by trash fire, transported

MONTCALM — A local man was flown Thursday by helicopter ambulance to a medical center outside the region after being burned by a trash fire.

The incident was reported to Mercer County 911 at approximately 5:18 p.m. after an adult male was burned in the face and chest area by a trash fire, a dispatcher said. The Montcalm Volunteer Fire Department, the Princeton Rescue Squad, and the Bluefield Rescue Squad were dispatched to Sandlick Road near the intersection with Rock Road.

Firefighters set up a landing zone for a Life-Guard helicopter ambulance at the Montcalm High School football field.

“He was burning some debris and something exploded on him,” said Assistant Fire Chief David Cox. “We’re not sure what exploded. Some glass and aerosol cans were in the burn pile.”

Cox said burning debris other than branches and leaves can be risky. “That’s why we urge people to use extreme caution, and be careful about what you’re actually burning because it could turn into a bad situation,” he added.

The man’s name and condition were not immediately available, and personnel with Princeton Rescue and Bluefield Rescue could not comment about the man’s age, condition or where he was being taken due to federal privacy regulations.

1
Text Only
Local News
National and World
Newspaper Deivery Routes Available
Sister Newspapers' News
Facebook
Local News Videos