Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV

Local News

January 31, 2014

Princeton students evacuated after gas leak

PRINCETON — Princeton Senior High School students were evacuated briefly Thursday morning to a nearby auditorium after a minor gas leak was detected in the school’s boiler room, Mercer County school officials said.

The incident started at approximately 10 a.m. after electricity went off for a few moments, said public information specialist Kellan Sarles. This outage triggered a carbon monoxide detector in the school’s boiler room.

The Princeton Fire Department recommended evacuating the school as a precaution, said Joe Turner, assistant superintendent for secondary education. The students went to the nearby Chuck Mathena Center on Stafford Drive, but they were told to return to class before the last of them arrived.

Turner said there was no build-up of gas, and that any small amount of leakage was stopped when a school board employee used a wrench to tightened a valve.

“Generally, when we have something like this, we want to err on the side of caution,” Turner said.

— Contact Greg Jordan at gjordan@bdtonline.com

1
Text Only
Local News
National and World
Newspaper Deivery Routes Available
Sister Newspapers' News
Facebook
Local News Videos