Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV

Local News

March 19, 2013

Firefighters extinguish chimney fire at Princeton residence

PRINCETON — Three fire departments were dispatched to the scene of a chimney fire in Princeton Monday night.

Princeton Fire Chief Chad Bailey said the Princeton Fire Department was dispatched at approximately 11 p.m. Monday to reports of a structure fire at a residence on Princeton Avenue.

“The family of this residence has only owned the home two or three weeks,” Bailey said. “They started a fire in the fireplace, which radiated heat and caught the two by fours on fire.”

Bailey said the East River Volunteer Fire Department and Green Valley-Glenwood Fire Departments were also dispatched to the scene. Bailey said fire fighters worked to put out the blaze without causing damage to the residence.

“There was a fire in the chimney,” Bailey said. “There was a little water damage, but no smoke damage because it was confined to the chimney. We cut a vent through the attic so the smoke would vent out of the house. We also had the power cut just in case.”

Bailey said the family is now safely back in the residence.

“They are having an electrician come to check everything and turn their power back on,” Bailey said. “They dropped by the station again this morning to thank us.”

No one was injured during the fire.


Text Only
Local News
National and World
Newspaper Deivery Routes Available
Sister Newspapers' News
Local News Videos