Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV

Local News

January 5, 2014

Family of six driven from home by blaze

BLUEFIELD — Click here for video

A fire Sunday afternoon caused extensive damage to a Preston Street home. According to one of the residents of the home, the fire started in the vicinity of the kitchen.

“It started in the area of the kitchen, but I couldn’t tell if it started inside or outside,” Captain Stan McKenzie of the Bluefield Fire Department said. “That’s why I called the State Fire Marshal’s office to investigate and determine the origin and cause of the fire.”

“All of our clothes and even the keys to our car are inside,” Lori Regan said. Regan, her husband and four children lived in the home. “My son got out and wasn’t even wearing his shoes.” Regan said that all of her family’s baby pictures are in the basement. Four of her children who were living at home as well as she and her husband managed to escape uninjured. The house is located at 227 Preston St.

The Bluefield Fire Department was dispatched to the fire at 4:11 p.m. As soon as firefighters on duty arrived, they immediately asked emergency services dispatchers to page out off-duty personnel to assist.

Smoke was coming from the back of the home, and flames quickly spread to the roof of the older, wooden frame structure. A family member, whose name was not immediately available, said that the fire apparently started in the kitchen.

McKenzie said that while the fire did extensive damage to the residence, “we were able to salvage a lot of the contents of the home,” he said. He added that Josh Parks, a firefighter with the Bluefield Fire Department, was able to locate and save the family’s puppy.

“He was in the only place downstairs where he could have survived,” McKenzie said. “They lost the cat that was upstairs. The smoke was so thick that he didn’t have a chance.”

Firefighters were on the scene until 7:57 p.m. McKenzie said there were no injuries to any of the firefighters who battled the blaze.

A unit from the Bluefield Rescue Squad was on standby and Sgt. M.D. McPherson of the Bluefield Police Department was also on scene to assist.

“Sgt. McPherson contacted us, and we have already called ahead to make reservations for the family,” Craig Hammond, executive director of the Bluefield Union Mission said. “I haven’t heard from Mrs. Regan, but we’re ready when we do.”

— Contact Bill Archer at

Text Only
Local News
National and World
Newspaper Deivery Routes Available
Sister Newspapers' News
Local News Videos