Today I was stopped in traffic to let people cross the street to join a long line of parents and grandparents waiting for the handout of food and toys for the children, true all these children deserve a very happy Christmas.
My point to this letter, I noticed lots of people, over half, smoking. Just think — cigarettes cost more than $5 a pack, some people smoke more than two packs a day, and also smokeless tobacco.
If that money were put in a piggy bank instead of buying these items, then next Christmas when the bank was broken, what a wonderful surprise for the family and how much better you would feel.
Do the math. Count your blessings and breath a lot better, any comments?
- Letters to the Editor
Why is heroin making a comeback?
July 22, 2014
Veteran’s night at ballpark planned
July 21, 2014
Stop the rate increases for APCO
July 20, 2014
Route 16 in McDowell needs work
July 19, 2014
Bluefield blessed by July 4th concert
July 18, 2014
Lots to do at Tazewell County Fair
July 17, 2014
Better upkeep needed for overlook
July 16, 2014
Many residents missed great concert
July 15, 2014
Police presence needed in west end
July 14, 2014
Carter never played for Va. Tech
July 12, 2014
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines
- Why is heroin making a comeback?
- Infrastructure upgrade — Clean water on tap for McDowell 2 hours
- King Coal Highway: Road should be added to six-year plan 2 days
- Fire fees: Public input critical 4 days
- Back taxes — Collection will help McDowell deficit 4 days
- Walking trails — Athens, Concord project important 5 days
- Scam alerts Grandparents a target; turnpike ruse 6 days
- Under construction: Virginia trail adds to ATV appeal 7 days
- Coal market: Losses have ripple effect on region 9 days
- License to drive Teens targeted with helpful course 10 days
- Wedding of the Bluefields — Splendid celebration for 90th anniversary 11 days
- Truckers are research scientists looking for the limits of human endurance 1 day 1 Photo
- Movies, Archie, APCO, more 1 day
- Aggravation or appreciation: Letters to editor give voice to community 2 days 1 Photo
- Summer sizzles with main street, train station and pow wow events 3 days
- Major political madness? Let us agree to disagree like sane people 4 days
- Silence the cellphone when driving 4 days 1 Photo
- When longhand becomes code: Handwriting skills suffer in age of technology 5 days 1 Photo
- Five Guys, two big boxes and the long haul to Christiansburg, Va. 6 days 1 Photo
- Illegal immigration problem is largely a federal government creation 7 days
- Service in the spotlight: It’s hard being a public servant in this day and age 8 days 1 Photo
How often do you attend local events such as fairs, concerts, plays, etc. After voting, go to facebook.com/bdtonline to comment.