Today I was stopped in traffic to let people cross the street to join a long line of parents and grandparents waiting for the handout of food and toys for the children, true all these children deserve a very happy Christmas.
My point to this letter, I noticed lots of people, over half, smoking. Just think — cigarettes cost more than $5 a pack, some people smoke more than two packs a day, and also smokeless tobacco.
If that money were put in a piggy bank instead of buying these items, then next Christmas when the bank was broken, what a wonderful surprise for the family and how much better you would feel.
Do the math. Count your blessings and breath a lot better, any comments?
- Letters to the Editor
Proud of region’s response to fire
July 29, 2014
U.S. better under Dems’ leadership
July 28, 2014
‘Roads to nowhere’ if Dems in control
July 27, 2014
Fun for all at Mercer County Fair
July 26, 2014
Get rid of property taxes on vehicles
July 24, 2014
Well wishes sought for former resident
July 23, 2014
Why is heroin making a comeback?
July 22, 2014
Veteran’s night at ballpark planned
July 21, 2014
Stop the rate increases for APCO
July 20, 2014
Route 16 in McDowell needs work
July 19, 2014
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines
- Proud of region’s response to fire
- Sales tax holiday: Back-to-school savings in Virginia 17 hours
- Heroic efforts: Kudos to our first responders 17 hours
- Animal cruelty Keep pets out of hot vehicles 2 days
- Senseless act Park vandalism a new low 3 days
- Plenty to do Fairs, festivals, games on forefront 4 days
- On the move: NRCTC ready to grow 5 days
- Economic impact: Saints good for West Virginia 6 days
- Infrastructure upgrade — Clean water on tap for McDowell 7 days
- King Coal Highway: Road should be added to six-year plan 9 days
- Fire fees: Public input critical 11 days
- Does stopping corporate inversions require a stick, or a carrot? 17 hours
- First tomato of summer, milking cows, 17-year cicadas and other bologna 1 day 1 Photo
- Cruising, crime, turtles, more 1 day
- Staying true to tradition during a lifetime of learning and growing 2 days 1 Photo
- Mercer County and local area has enough fun to encourage a local summer stay-cation 3 days
- Fleeting thoughts, random moments 4 days
- Modern spin on fairy tales when Mother Goose and chicks visit home nest 4 days
- Cruising, classic cars spur fond memories of days gone by 5 days 1 Photo
- Two-state connection a win-win for ATV visitors in Mercer, Tazewell 6 days 1 Photo
- Israel continues to survive irrational hatred and violent attacks 7 days
What’s the best part of a county fair? After voting, go to facebook.com/bdtonline to comment.