Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV

Latest Updates

August 22, 2012

Toddler overdoses, thought pill was candy

ELWOOD, Ind. — A two-year-old child appears to have overdosed on narcotics, perhaps believing it was eating candy.

The child was rushed to a nearby hospital and is listed in stable condition.

Authorities said it appears the child swallowed suboxone, a prescription semi-synthetic opioid. The drug was kept in a breath mint container and some of the pills were missing.

The child’s grandmother, who also is the toddler's legal guardian, became suspicious when the child would not wake up from a nap.

Capt. Andy McGuire said there was no sign the child has suffered any brain damage.


Details for this story were provided by The Herald Bulletin in Anderson, Ind.

Text Only
Latest Updates