Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV

Latest Updates

August 22, 2012

Toddler overdoses, thought pill was candy

ELWOOD, Ind. — A two-year-old child appears to have overdosed on narcotics, perhaps believing it was eating candy.

The child was rushed to a nearby hospital and is listed in stable condition.

Authorities said it appears the child swallowed suboxone, a prescription semi-synthetic opioid. The drug was kept in a breath mint container and some of the pills were missing.

The child’s grandmother, who also is the toddler's legal guardian, became suspicious when the child would not wake up from a nap.

Capt. Andy McGuire said there was no sign the child has suffered any brain damage.

---

Details for this story were provided by The Herald Bulletin in Anderson, Ind.

1
Text Only
Latest Updates