RICHMOND, Va. (AP) —
A dozen additions are being made to the Virginia Landmarks Register, including a 23,000-acre district in the Fauquier (faw-KEER’) County’s horse country and an early settlement along the James River in Richmond.
The Virginia Department of Historic Resources said each will be forwarded to the National Park Service for nomination to the National Register of Historic Places.
The Little River Rural Historic District in Fauquier County includes nearly 1,500 historic dwellings and farm buildings dating from the late 18th century through the 20th century. They include log and stone houses, smokehouses, the runs of gristmills and a saw-mill, among other structures.
The district also contains 760 acres affiliated with the Civil War Battle of Middleburg.
The Springhill Historic District in Richmond began as a street car suburb in the 1870s and includes the early 19th century Manchester Waterworks and the James River Manchester Canal. Originally part of Chesterfield County, it was annexed to the city of Richmond in 1910.
The other additions to the registry, with descriptions provided by Historic Resources, are:
— The James River Steam Brewery Cellars, a remnant of the brewery that operated from 1866-1879, includes arched tunnels and stone foundations. The largest tunnel is 146 feet long.
— The Chapel Rural Historic District in Clarke County covers approximately 11,500 acres. It contains well-preserved residences and outbuildings such as smokehouses and summer kitchens. The buildings date from the mid-18th to the mid-20th century.
— Fair Oaks, built in 1881, is a 91-acre working farm in Loudoun County. The property includes a frame house built by Alexander Moore, whose family ran the Aldie Mill for six generations.
— Old Welbourne, also in Loudoun County, is an 1878 house that is located on a 154-acre property that housed the Piedmont Fox Hounds. Once a farmer’s pastime, the hunt has evolved into a more formal social event.
— Paradise, in the Warrenton Historic District in Fauquier County, is believed to have been built about 1758. It retains much of its original interior woodwork, doors, windows and other features.
— Wilkins Farm, a late 18th century farmstead of German immigrant origin in Shenandoah County. It was owned and developed by three German families.
— Laurel Meadow, located in Richmond, is an early plantation home. It sits on one acre of the plantation’s original 902 acres.
— Haines Chapel in Rockbridge County was completed in 1914 as a small wood-frame house of worship. It is located in a mountainous, sparsely populated area near the Blue Ridge Parkway.
— On the Hill is an 1886 Queen Anne-style house on nearly 23 acres in Boydton, in Mecklenburg County.
— Woods Hill, in the city of Franklin, is an example of the work of Alan McCullough and Charles Freeman Gillette, 20th-century home and landscape designers. Landscape design is the primary basis of the nomination.