NEWRY, Maine (AP) — A Finnish couple has added to their victories by taking first place in the North American Wife Carrying Championship at Maine's Sunday River ski resort.
Taisto Miettinen and Kristina Haapanen traveled from Helsinki, Finland — where they won the World Wife Carrying Championship — for Saturday's contest. The Sun Journal (bit.ly/Q30QWq) reports that the couple finished with a time of 52.58 seconds on a course that includes hurdles, sand traps and a water hole.
The winners receive the woman's weight in beer and five times her weight in cash.
For Miettinen and Haapanen, that meant a check for $530. They shared their beer winnings with the second- and third- place finishers — Jesse Wall and Christine Arsenault of South Paris and David and Lacey Castro of Lewiston.
- Latest Updates
- 7 apply for Mingo County circuit judge’s seat
Texas wants background checks for health-care navigators
The counselors tasked with helping uninsured Texans navigate their way through the complicated process of buying health insurance will have to jump through a series of hoops to get licenses under new rules proposed by the Texas Department of Insurance.
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Top general to teens: Watch what you post online!
- Pearl Harbor survivor thrives meeting visitors
- Grant to boost exercise in McDowell schools
- Virginia Tech’s next president is set to make a debut.
- W.Va. files brief regarding firearm sales
- Wags and barks speak volumes when talking to dogs
How to care for a cut Christmas tree
Cut Christmas trees must be watered and kept hydrated to last through the holidays and to prevent them from becoming fire hazards. This includes small tabletop trees.
- More Latest Updates Headlines