By Alexandra Nicolas CNHI News Service
With help from a few smartphone apps, you can look forward to a good night's rest and an even better morning.
Instead of using the native alarm app on your phone, Sleep Cycle alarm clock uses the phone's internal sensors to montior your movement through the night (creepy, right?) and wake you when you're in your lightest phase of sleep, within a half-hour of your desired alarm time.
Once you switch on the app, place the phone facedown on your bed (don't cover it with pillows), and the phone tracks your sleep. In addition to waking you in the morning, the app stores data on your sleep including hours slept, sleep quality and factors that contribute to a better night's rest.
The app is available for $.99 on Apple. A similar app, Sleep as Android, is available for Android users, and Sleepbot also offers similar features for both major operating systems for free.
While it has a built-in alarm, the selling point on this app is the collection of peaceful, ambient sounds and the ability to mix custom blends.
Want to go to sleep to the sounds of a thunderstorm on the beach? Done. More comfortable with a crackling fire, birds and the sounds of a river? You can do that too.
The app is available for $1.99 in the Apple iOS store.
Deep Sleep with Andrew Johnson
If the motion-senstive alarm isn't helping you feel more rested and the ambient noise hasn't helped, then perhaps what you need is a personal sleep therapist.
Enter the Deep Sleep with Andrew Johnson app. The app guides the user through "meditation intended to help you overcome insomnia and get to sleep."
The app is available for $2.99 for both Apple and Android.
Gaga on Bennett duet CD: Jazz comes easier vs. pop
July 29, 2014
Reality TV is baring it all: Take off your clothes to make it in television
July 28, 2014
Sarah Palin launches online subscription channel
July 28, 2014
Scientists make love, war weapons in ’Manhattan’
July 25, 2014
Dear Abby: Younger couples weigh in on how they handle money
July 21, 2014
CBS won’t dictate use of Redskins name on the air
July 18, 2014
Stars are safer because of actress’ murder
July 15, 2014
Archie to be shot saving gay friend in comic book
July 14, 2014
Ana Ortiz is proud of her TV show, ‘Devious Maids’
July 11, 2014
Brooks’ music coming to digital via his own site
July 11, 2014
- More Entertainment Headlines
- Gaga on Bennett duet CD: Jazz comes easier vs. pop
- Going on vacation? Prepare your garden first 22 hours 1 Photo
- Ronstadt, Katzenberg among those honored by Obama 1 day
- Awarded a Pell Grant? Better double-check 4 days
- Cork. It’s not just for wine and bulletin boards 11 days
- 5 tips for making family trips with teens more fun 14 days
- It is berry picking time 17 days 1 Photo
- Ten ways to use fresh ripe blueberries 17 days
- When it comes to skin products, less is more 18 days
- Visitors wait 5 hours for Harry Potter ride 18 days
- Eileen Ford, founder of Ford Model Agency, dies 19 days
- AP Video
- Raw: Japanese Soldiers Storm Beach in Exercises Raw: Weapons Fire Hits UN School in Gaza Raw: Rocket Launches Into Space With Cargo Ship Broken Water Main Floods UCLA Two Women Narrowly Avoid Being Hit by Train In Virginia, the Rise of a New Space Coast New Sanctions on Key Sectors of Russian Economy Crayola Announces Family Attraction in Orlando US Ready to Slap New Sanctions on Russia Kerry: Not Worried About Israeli Criticism Boater Rescued From Edge of Kentucky Dam Girl Struck by Plane on Florida Beach Dies Rodents Rampant in Gardens Around Louvre House to Vote on Slimmed-down Bill for Border Looming Demand Could Undercut Flight Safety Raw: 2 Shells Hit Fuel Tank at Gaza Power Plant Raw: Massive Explosions From Airstrikes in Gaza Giant Ketchup Bottle Water Tower Up for Sale Easier Nuclear Construction Promises Fall Short Kerry: Humanitarian Cease-fire Efforts Continue
- BBQ My Way
- Give fruit salad zing with honey and black pepper 27 days
- BBQ My Way: Liz's chicken enchilada casserole 260 days 1 Photo
- Crock pot sausage, sauerkraut a perfect autumn meal 270 days 1 Photo
- BBQ My Way: Fall veggie pizza 277 days 1 Photo
- BBQ My Way: Arguments aside, there's just one authentic recipe for wings 291 days 1 Photo
- BBQ My Way: Judging a chili cook-off 298 days 1 Photo
- BBQ My Way: Creamy squash soup 305 days 1 Photo
- BBQ My Way: Grilled swai with fire-roasted salsa 313 days 3 Photos
- BBQ My Way: Pairing beer with food 320 days 2 Photos
- BBQ My Way: Back to basics, with pulled pork 323 days 2 Photos