— A selection of reader comments from our Facebook page last week:
On a poll question asking how has your electric bill been this winter:
• ... My electric bill tripled this month even though I used about a fourth less than usual — Teresa C.
• I can’t afford all the higher utilities. Guess they can shut them off! All of them! — Joanne W.
• Mine doubled — Linda H.
• Our has at least doubled. What’s going on? — Dean C.
On a story about a Virginia inmate seeking a sex change operation:
• People who pay taxes should not have to pay for it — Linda H.
• Let failing medical students give it a shot! — Brian M.
• A sex change operation is an elective surgery, not an emergency, medically needed one ... — Karen S.
On a Tazewell drug bust resulting in 45 indictments:
• Sad to see people I once knew or that my children went to high school with on this list. Huge thanks to our law enforcement officers that continue to work hard to keep drugs out of our county — Angela S.
On a story about drug testing of all students and schoolhouse employees:
• Wow! I think every teacher should go through random drug tests. Our bus operators do. I feel the school system should do random tests on everyone working for them ... — Joanna K.
• Drug testing of students should be done by their parents. Schools have enough to worry about and should concentrate on teaching! — Julie D.
On a poll question asking if you are supportive of efforts to reintroduce elk into Southwest Virginia:
• Y’all will like it until you hit one with a car ... LOL — Matt U.
• My thoughts exactly — Greg B.
• Disaster, bad mistake. Just wait until you look out your windshield and see a 600-pound missile coming in your vehicle killing your children ... — Danny L.