— A selection of reader comments from our Facebook page last week:
On a poll question asking about your favorite Christmas movie:
• “The Santa Clause” movies and “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” — Mary C.
• A Christmas Carol — Mary H.
• The Christmas Story — Becky B.
• “It’s A Wonderful Life” and “White Christmas” are the classics I love, out of the new ones, I love “Polar Express” — Karen S.
On a story about children suffering as a result of West Virginia’s drug abuse problem:
• Being a taxpayer and a working citizen, I’d rather my tax dollars go toward paying for a woman or the man to get “fixed,” that way the kid’s life is not destroyed. It’s a vicious circle: Born into drugs, let the system take care of you, get pregnant, born into drugs, let the system take care of you. It’s sad when you ask a child what they want to be when they grow up and their answer is, “On welfare!” — Matthew B.
• This is so sad. We must pray for God to intervene! — Judith L.
• How about trying to get some jobs for people to do and something for kids to look forward to. I moved away from home back in ’96 because there was no work. It’s the same today — Anthony H.
• I moved away from West Virginia 11 years ago and, you’re right, it is still the same today. But as for the children they are doomed from the start if they don’t have someone teaching them the right way to live. I feel so bad for the little souls. I am so glad I got my children out of that place — Mary F.
• Moving was the only way I did get it right, and hope to talk my older children into leaving also — Marlene H.