— — A selection of reader comments from our Facebook page last week:
On whether you think global warming is to blame for extreme weather events:
• No, global warming/climate change are just scare tactics to enact cap and trade. The truth is the change in weather is a naturally occurring event. Back in the 1970s, the same people who are promoting the global warming hoax warned of the coming ice age and it never happened — Jerri H.
• Keep your head buried in the sand there, I hope you like it there — Jeff S.
• Global warming is pure bull. Don’t believe it for one second — Kim P.
• To everything there is a season, man controls nothing. Earthquakes, they say, have changed the tilt of the earth on its axis. The sun, they say, has been more active with solar flares. Finally, they say, the orbit of the earth around the sun is not a round pattern, it’s oval, meaning in certain cycles (seasons) it would be closer to the sun. They say, “global warming.” I say, “To everything there is a season” — Kristie S.
• No — Jim H.
• No, it was this hot in 1936 — Linda C.
• Nope. Air conditioning has made modernized humans nothing but wimps. Myself included — Dale R.
• No. History has shown that this earth takes things in seasons over the decades; there have been many other times of droughts, high heat, or too much rain with flooding. What we have gone through with extreme weather over the past few years isn’t the first and won’t be the last. We just have to hang in there when it gets really tough. I would rather be right where I am, here in southern West Virginia, than to live where there are dangerous hurricanes! — Karen S.
On a story in which officials released details of a recent fatal police shooting:
• Good job West Virginia State Police! — Jeff S.