— — A selection of reader comments from our Facebook page last week:
On a story and video of a possible cougar sighting in Mercer County:
• Anyone who lives in or spends a lot of time in the woods around here knows this and has known it for years. We’ve all just been told we were crazy because West Virginia doesn’t have mountain lions — Chass R.
• I saw a huge one in McDowell County back in 1989. It was near Peter’s Branch on Route 7 going to Davy from Welch ... — Janine B.
• I was walking the Brush Creek Falls area several years ago and while hiking looked down and, right at the edge of the bridge, there was one — watched it go under the bridge to the other side until it was out of sight ... Rochelle B.
• I just really hope idiots aren’t out with their guns trying to kill this animal. If it has been in their mountains for five years and hasn’t bothered us, I certainly hope this doesn’t fuel a fire to hunt that cat down! — Natasha C.
• You want to see a cougar? Go into any bar in Florida! — Jay B.
On a poll question asking what movie monster scares you the most:
• Vampires ... because they sparkle now. That is horrifying — Chrissy C.
• The characters on C-SPAN — Charles P.
On a story about a plea hearing being set for a co-defendant in a child sexual assault, child pornography case:
• No plea bargain! — Pam J.
• That is all that office knows how to do is plea bargain! We need to clean house of Mercer County officials and send them packing! — Delta F.
• Noticed she had a $200,000 bail while Spaulding, who was involved with her, plus indicted for 57 counts of sex crimes against two kids, received only a $10,000 bail. We need to know why and if we don’t get an answer remember this at the polls the next time this judge and prosecuting attorney are up for election — Bill S.