On the death of former local newsman “Tiny” Thompson:
• I remember watching him on TV as a kid in the ’70s. Very sad to hear he’s gone — William C.
• Been thinking about him since Stan Sweet went home. He was a great part of WHIS TV and my childhood. Prayers for his family — Susan M.
On a story about Ollie’s Bargain Outlet coming to Bluefield, Va., and what new retail store you would like to see open in the area:
• Target! I would like to see a Chipotle or Five Guys or Olive Garden or Red Lobster ... — Kristy S.
• Costco — Paul P.
• Target and some other choice of restaurant — Darla Y.
• Ross — Kelly S.
• TJ Maxx and Target! — Tammie L.
• Ollie’s is a pretty cool place. They originated in central Pennsylvania and there are several stores around us. They have everything from food, to carpet, bed clothes, tools, and occasionally furniture. All at discount prices — Deborah N.
On the results of a poll that asked if the Republican controlled House and Democratic controlled Senate will find a way to work together:
• They all need to come together and help the president do his job. Like it or not, four more years — Rhonda F.
• The Republicans and Democrats are too divided, like the country— Wayne J.
On a breaking news story about gunfire and a car crash:
• Are you freaking kidding me? This is getting as bad as when I lived in Detroit! — Louetta W.
• Holy crap. I came through there a while back today (Thursday), and saw some police cars. I wondered what was going on. I never take that road, but today just felt like I needed a different drive. Doesn’t that beat all! — Mark P.
• Sounds like Romney supporters to me — Jeff S.