— — A selection of reader comments from our Facebook page last week:
On a mistrial being declared in a child porn and sexual abuse case due to a juror having chest pains:
• Did they filter the jurors well enough? — Chrissy C.
• Really, is this a joke? Surely she can go to the hospital and resume after she is released. So is he going to be set free pending another trial? Crazy — Benita N.
• Why not let her get calmed down, medicated if need be, and resume deliberations on Monday? — Cherri C.
• What? Give me a break — Meyishi B.
• This is unbelievable! — Leisha C.
• Only one alternate juror? And they were sent home? My goodness! What kind of system is this? — Janis D.
• ... Alternate jurors are there, in court, hearing the evidence. If, during this part of the trial, a juror becomes ill, is dismissed, etc., he/she is replaced by an alternate. But once the jury begins deliberation, the alternates are released — Bill S.
• What is it about any sex crime and it goes to hell in Mercer County? Very strange ... — Scott N.
On a former Princeton police officer being arrested for a second time in Greenbrier County:
• I do believe this is being investigated by the Justice Department. The man in question is brain damaged because of injury at the State Police Academy ... too many questions regarding police behavior — Lynn C.
• Keep smacking him on the hand. One day he will fully assault a kid and it’ll come back to all this — Chris S.
• I call BS on that. If he was injured why in the hell is his only problem minor children? Get real — Michelle L.
On if you allow your kids to consume caffeine, and if so, how much:
• My kids drink water and milk but if we go out to dinner I let them have pop as treat — Angela G.
• I let mine have a coffee, limit one cup/day. They don’t drink it every single day. They drink hot tea sometimes, and I don’t like them to have soda — Bobbie L.
• Tea, coffee, chocolate, pop — Gayle W.