Bluefield Daily Telegraph
A selection of reader comments from our Facebook page last week:
On a poll question asking how early do you put up your Christmas tree, and if you prefer real or artificial:
• Have it up now — Nancy H.
• I am keeping mine up all year around and decorate it as the seasons and holidays change. I have had mine up for three weeks now — Tonya J.
• I prefer real — but due to allergies, I use an artificial tree — Cathy W.
• Waiting till after Thanksgiving — Donna B.
• Mine were put up yesterday because I always have a “kickoff to the holidays” party coming up and like it ready for that — Lisa B.
• Mine has been up a couple weeks — Kelly S.
• The day after Thanksgiving I put up artificial trees — Cleda C.
A story on more powerful storms developing, and the question of whether you blame this on global warming, also known as climate change:
• Yes. Wished they had called it climate change, then we wouldn’t have to waste so much time with global warming obstructionists — Bill S.
• Well I guess Republicans will blame it on Obama — Rusty H.
• It is the earth fighting back for all the damage that humans are causing. The earth is culling the herd — Bev. O.
On a question asking what is your prediction for the upcoming winter season?
• The wooly worms here where I live are solid black so this tells me a long hard winter. So there now you have it — Jerry W.
• Every wooly worm I’ve seen this year is solid black, guess it is going to be a bad one — Wayne J.
• Cold — Melissa F.
• Nasty with a lot of the four letter cuss word ...snow... falling on our patch of the earth — Bev O.
• WVVA reported ‘doom and gloom’ for this morning. Where is it? — Bill S.
On a story about a former Mercer County School teacher reaching a plea agreement — thus reducing the amount of time he will spend in prison — on multiple sexual abuse charges:
• Absolutely deserves more. Preying on multiple young girls while abusing his authority. A pedophile can not be "cured" or rehabilitated. Ridiculous. Deserves a much longer sentence or the death penalty if West Virginia had it. I say let a few of the girls' fathers loose on the monsters head. He'd definitely not get a plea deal under those circumstances. Geez. The world accepts more and more of unacceptable behavior. Get with it prosecuting attorney.... plea deal? Gag — Cheryl C.
• I am so happy my kids didn't go to school out there — Joann L.
• It can happen anywhere. Very scary. My kids are 3, 8, and 11. I am also a Mercer County teacher. Watching the daily news is enough to scare you into keeping them home — Lisa B.
• Why did he get a plea deal? — Sherry S.
• Cause everyone in this blasted county gets a plea bargin no matter what the crime is, even murder does! The justice system here sucks, and our prosecutting attorney office don't want to try cases! — Delta F.
On a story about a Mercer County woman reaching a plea deal — thus ensuring she will spend less time in prison — on a sexual assualt charge involving a juvenile.
• Max sentence! No exceptions! — April M.
• There we go again with plea agreements!! Can't that office handle a case, prosecute to the full extent of the law. Stop plea bargins! — Delta F.
• She should get the full 55 years and no less! — Mae E.
On a poll question asking if your opinion of the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare, has changed?
• Don't want it. All it is gonna do is break the working man — Shannon J.
• Our insurance is going to change and it is not for the better. The affordable care insurance would cost us several hundred dollars more if we decided to pick it up instead. I think my family will end up putting our health on the back burner from now on — Chrissy C.