A selection of reader comments from our Facebook page last week:
On if you think the Turnpike is in better condition since the toll increase four years ago:
• No — Gwenda A.
• That’s the roughest road I’ve ever road on and I’m from McDowell! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! LOL — Angel H.
• It’s a joke for the local area to pay tolls in the first place, and also they should’ve went down not up! — Dean C.
• I think between Princeton and Beckley things have improved. But the drive from Beckley to Charleston has not — Nancy B.
On a story about a Mercer County man sentenced to 40 years for second-degree murder:
• Why are prosecutors in this state so willing to let these people cop to a second-degree charge? — Don Z.
On a story about several dead pit bull puppies found dumped near Bluefield:
• These people need to be caught! This is horrible. Put them in a bag and throw them to the curb! — Jenni G.
• Amen ... unfortunately it will be another unsolved crime in this fine town — Ashton S.
• So sad — Paul C.
• This is just the beginning, because of the ban I’m sure there will be more because of people not wanting to get into trouble for having them ... — Keri M.
• I don’t get why everyone is so focused on this one particular breed. I think the focus should be on animal neglect in general. The first step to being a responsible pet owner is getting their animals spayed and neutered... — Candy B.
• The city’s solution to pits will cause much more of this! — Drew F.
• This is so sad ... I love all animals and I agree that whoever did this should be treated just like those poor, innocent puppies. I hope karma bites you like you deserve — Jessica P.
• Can not express the disgust this brings to our area. “Pit Bulls & Parolees” are really needed here now! — Sue F.
• Mercer County can never cry poverty again. They have money to investigate frivolity but won’t look for my tools that were stolen — Michael H.