A selection of reader comments from our Facebook page last week:
On a story about Mercer parents not being allowed to pick up children during the last 30 minutes of school:
• I don’t care who the heck you think you are, they are my kids. They aren’t property of the Mercer Board of Education ... Sorry, but this policy puts the rights of the school, and the government, above the natural rights of the parent — Neal V.
• Kids should be able to concentrate on their entire day of studies, not distracted during the last half hour of the day by parents who just want to “beat the bus” ... — Michael W.
• My daughter had a doctor’s appointment. I made it later in the day so she would not miss a lot of her classes. I was told I could not sign her out! That’s just wrong on all levels! If parents are signing them out to beat the bus, OK, that’s wrong. But a doctor’s appointment? Please! — Mae E.
• My kids are in Tazewell County, but I dare someone to say I can’t go get my kids. Last time I checked I gave birth to them. What are they gonna do, really? Hold them hostage people? — Alicia P.
• I don’t have an issue with the policy. Teachers have so much information to relay to our children in a short amount of time including right up to the last minute of the day. It’s hard enough to keep them on task without interruptions ... — Nancy B.
On a poll question asking if you have ever adopted an animal from a shelter:
• Sad that only 25 percent of votes show that they have. I have two great dogs, both adopted from my local shelter — Michael F.
• It’s hard to believe the shelter is not the first place to consider when wanting a pet!? — Lisha R.
• I agree. I got a cat from the shelter and it was a wonderful cat. They have a lot of animals that need good homes — Tina R.
• I adopted one of my dogs from the Mercer County Animal Shelter. No regrets, he is the best dog and so gentle. Animals in shelters need love and homes too — Tessa A.
• I have adopted two animals from the shelter. One for myself and one as a gift. Both turned out great. Why add to the over population when you can save an animal from dying? — Chrissy C.
• Both my fur kids came from pound. Best thing I ever did — Louetta W.