Bluefield Daily Telegraph
A selection of reader comments from our Facebook page last week:
On a story, video and slideshow of the fire that destroyed the Mayflower Seafood Restaurant in Bluefield, Va.:
• Sorry to hear this ... was a great place — Nancy H.
• First, Richwood Golf Club closes, and now this right across the road. Ouch — Brian W.
• I hate to see this. Their food was awesome. Hope they build back — Cynthia D.
• Terrible news — Tasha H.
• Really hate that. Sorry — Loretta H.
On a story about a West Virginia man charged with killing several cats by setting them on fire:
• He’ll get a slap on the wrist. But, yes he should be tortured like the animals were — Chris H.
• He is the worst kind of person! — Dave H.
• I agree. Burn him — Brian W.
On a video about a student firing a police officer’s rifle — which was loaded — during a school function:
• Now why was the officer careless enough to leave it where kids could get it? — Carly M.
• Why was it loaded at a school drug awareness presentation in the first place? — Joseph L.
• Why in the world do you bring a gun to a drug awareness program and an AR-15 at that? What part of drug awareness involves a gun? I hope the kids are OK and this officer loses his job. It never should have been loaded and it should have not been left unattended by the officer — Tracy T.
On a poll question asking who will win the World Series?
• A bunch of millionaires — Joe H.
On a question asking if you would ever consider investing in a film or startup project?
• I already did. Ever heard of “FrackNation?” The producers would only accept individual donations (no corporate or foundation money) to raise the money needed. So hundreds of people chipped in to make sure the documentary was made. We’re all listed in the credits as executive producers — Lecia S.
• Yes, to raise money for advertising for my book ... “Wisdom (Beyond Her Years).” I am thinking of doing a kickstarter to raise the funds — Bev O.
• It’s good to see hundreds listed as fools on a phony documentary. Maybe you could help Michael Moore on his next lie .... — Steven T.
On a video of a father who created a Disney Park Halloween costume:
• ... I personally think this is amazing that a father would take the time to create something with their child such as this. Halloween costumes are getting more and more creative and I for one can appreciate someone else’s creativity — Tonya J.
• That’s cool ... fun ‘n’ creative! — Dave H.
On a poll question asking whether you have attempted to browse the new online marketplaces offered by Obamacare:
• It’s insane how much people are saving with the new marketplace exchanges. People should get over the hate hype and actually look at the exchanges. It’s saving people thousands of dollars a year to get the same or better coverage. Now it’s clear for everyone to see why insurance companies oppose the Affordable Care Act — Joe H.
• So all those horror stories are lies — Steven T.
• Nope and I don’t plant to — Jerry W.
On a story about the resignation of Michelle Carter from the United Way of the Virginias:
• I hope the media looks into what happened. It is quite serious and has a huge impact on this area. Was I right in reading that the correct paperwork hadn’t been filed since 2008? — Bill S.
On a question asking if you have seen coyotes or other nuisance animals in the region:
• They are thick here in Lerona. We see them all the time — Madison O.
• About a month ago here in Princeton, a deer come running down 5th Street and right into my yard and crossed the woods onto Washington Street. A couple minutes later a coyote passed by running down the street — Chad E.
• Deer have done thousands of dollars in damage for me for the past three years by destroying marketable nursery stock and by causing damage to two vehicles — Gene B.
On a poll question asking your forecast for the upcoming winter weather:
• I think it’s gonna be a long, extremely cold winter! With snow starting soon! — Michele C.
• I sure hope it’s a mild one! — Betty B.