A selection of reader comments from our Facebook page last week:
On a poll question asking about the greatest threat facing our planet in the years ahead:
• Us — Charles P.
• Zombies — Scott W.
On England’s decision to place microchips in all dogs:
• My dog was microchipped before getting him from the S.P.C.A. They do so to keep track of pets and I can be fined if I were to give him away or return him to the S.P.C.A. I have no intention of doing so, when I got him I knew I would be his forever home but some people get pets without thinking long term or of the huge responsibility. I’m glad he’s microchipped. All pets should be — Melissa C.
• Every day I read the government is trying to add laws. Yesterday it was texting and driving, today chipping dogs. Do they not have other things to worry about? Soon they will be telling me what color socks I have to wear. Enough is enough! — Donna M.
• While microchipping was meant to help return a pet to their owner, requiring it by the government is just one more intrusion upon personal choice. The decision to microchip should be left up to the pet owner. If we keep going down this road, it is conceivable that it will be required by the government to microchip children, under the disguise of “for the well being” or even you, yourself — Jerri H.
• That is what they will be trying to force us to do next — microchip our kids. Very scary world we live in! — Heather C.
On football player Ahmad Bradshaw being released by the Giants:
• Well, I’m not a Giants fan anymore. He goes then I go where he plays — Sherri O.
• A great talent. It’s a shame they let him go but maybe he can get with a better team! — Linda M.