A selection of reader comments from our Facebook page last week:
On a story about our latest planetary close call, and the question, “What’s with all of the asteroids and comets suddenly getting so close to our planet?”:
• It is not a sudden occurrence by any means. Our methods of detection have improved. The frequency of the phenomenon has not changed — Mark D.
• It’s the universe telling the planet that cutting science and space funding is not a good idea — Joe H.
On whether passengers should be allowed to carry small knives on passenger flights, and if airline security measures are too strict:
• Wait, we can’t take our guns on airplanes? It’s our Second Amendment right. When the founding fathers drafted the Constitution I’m sure they intended for us to be able to take guns on planes in case we had to defend ourselves against terrorists — Jamie L.
• If we ease up, they will take another plane. I know it’s a hassle to go through what we have to since 9/11. But the enemy came and we have to stay prepared to find him this time and not let another 9/11 happen — Shirley M.
On where the worst potholes are in your neck of the woods:
• [Route] 460 — Gwenda A.
• Mercer Mall — Charles P.
• [In] Monroe County in Peterstown there is a bridge that is nothing but potholes. You have to crawl across it and it still causes damage to your vehicle but they just keep throwing gravel on it. I feel they have no intentions of fixing it — Miranda R.
• Right past Fast Stop on 460 is the worst I’ve hit so far! — Michele C.
• Exxon Station on Oakvale Road! — Barbara P.
On a story about how area schools make up snow days:
• Mercer County needs to give up that spring break for snow days! It’s not that far from summer break! I’d much rather have my child at home on a bad snowy day then have a spring break! — Mae E.
• No, they do not need to give up their spring break! We live in West Virginia, they need to prepare more than eight days for snow! — Ashley D.