A selection of reader comments from our Facebook page last week:
On a story about a teenager and his parents who were killed after they jumped in the ocean to rescue the family dog, and if you would risk your life for a family member or pet:
• What a tragedy! I absolutely would have done the same thing without thinking twice. So sad — Beverly R.
• I would for my sister’s son and for sure my grandbabies! And my beagle! — Joya C.
• Yes, I would — Faith C.
On a story about Southern Coal announcing massive miner call backs and hiring:
• I, too, believe it is political but I am still very thankful that they are calling back workers and hiring. Jobs are really needed in this area — Shirley G.
• Well of course, the elections are over! — Sharon F.
• Political manipulation. Lay off workers before the election and then suddenly, with no changes whatsoever, they are calling them back — Bev O.
• Huh, I thought Obama was the end of coal? All political, anyone could’ve seen that — Chris S.
• Who cares, we need our jobs. Thanks for companies like Cliffs and Console Energy, Southern Coal and Eddie Asbury for keeping us working — Derek K.
• Political scare tactics! — Roger E.
• Glad that corporations are calling back miners. Coal prices are dropping and little has been done to diversify the West Virginia economy. Looks as though we were hornswoggled into voting Republican — Bill M.
• Political strategy from the start! Thankful that the miners are going back to work and that new jobs are being created! — Debbie R.
• Amen! — Amy B.
• Praise God! — Kimberly C.
• Yayyyy! — Susie B.
• Does anybody else think the coal companies might have lied to us and laid off miners just to scare us? — John M.
• So... Either Obama called off the war on coal, or the whole thing was made up to sway voters? I’m confused — Neal V.