A selection of reader comments from our Facebook page last week:
On a story about a tractor-trailer carrying 50,000 pounds of strawberries overturning on I-81:
• Wish I was there ... LOL. Yummy ... strawberries — Teresa B.
• Well I know it’s not funny, but the only thing I can think of is I would love to be picking those strawberries — Karen M.
• Strawberry daiquiris! — Jane D.
• Shortcake time! — Laura B.
• Strawberry fields forever — Steven R.
• What a berry big disaster — Laura C.
• They are requesting you avoid the area unless you have a flatbed full of shortcake and/or a tanker of whipped cream — Eric J.
• Looks like folks are going to have to take a strawberry shortcut — Scott N.
On the bombings in Boston:
• Praying for everyone! — Darlene F.
On a story about Bluefield cracking down on those violating the pit bull ordinance:
• Sounds cruel to muzzle your dog. Won’t that make any dog mean? — Gina G.
• They are spending so much time and resources on dogs, fix the damn pot holes, bring in new business, stop the pill heads from taking over. How about they spend the time and money on something that actually matters! They are so proud like they are doing something important ... please! — Shannon Y.
• Waste of tax dollars... — Shan C.
• I just saw that Wooster, Mass., just repealed their ban, and are now breed neutral! I hope others follow the example. Most times the dog is not the problem anyway, just bad dog owners ... — Anita T.
• There are many states that are repealing the bans on pit bulls. They have found they are not so bad after all, but more the work of bad owners ... — Tranessa L.
On a poll question asking how concerned you are about future terrorist attacks on U.S. soil:
• Very! — Shirley F.
• As the folks in charge have decided that they will let folks in illegally and then make them full citizens, very — Ed M.
• Very — Micole B.
• Two successful attempts out of how many that were foiled or the perps screwed it up themselves. The odds of successful attempts are still small on this front. So I will not be mindlessly panicking and allowing the government to take more of my rights for a false sense of security — Joseph L.
• Not at all ... — Matt H.