Bluefield Daily Telegraph
A selection of reader comments from our Facebook page last week:
On a story and photo about the arrest of a stabbing suspect by West Virginia State Police troopers:
• West Virginia has some of the best looking state troopers I have ever seen anywhere. Don’t know where they find these guys — Terry W.
• I agree ... — Michelle L.
• I’m sick of people talking trash about Montcalm being a drug town when it’s primary residents are old people and working people. Just because a few bad apples have time to stand around in front of the closed food store doesn’t mean the entire town is filled with drugs... — Joe H.
• I actually have to agree ... on this one. All towns have a drug problem, that doesn’t mean it’s all drug related every time something happens — Rhonda D.
• Crazy... people are nuts — Kathy H.
On a story about a 9-year-old boy being struck by a train in McDowell County:
• Prayers for the family — Michelle L.
• Praying for that child and his family — Donna D.
• What was the child doing around train tracks to begin with?! — Amy N.
• Prayer for the little kid and family, this is so sad — Kathie W.
On a husband and wife in their 80s scaring off a would-be robber:
• GO granny GO — Gwen M.
• A .45 or a 9 mm will scare ’em off every time — Michael C.
On if you recycle:
• You know if they did, more of these the side roads in McDowell and surrounding counties wouldn’t look so bad! They ought to take a page from North Carolina and offer separate pick ups during the month for glass, and plastic and yard debris! — Deanna M.
• Seems most West Virginia counties only care about money. Princeton should offer residence bins for recycling — Chad E.
• Yes. Bluefield, Va., does paper and plastic every Tuesday — Alicia P.
On a poll question asking how worried you are about climate change:
• Ummmm ... Not worried at all. I’m more worried about people finding jobs, increasing the local economy, and finding ways to help our youth prosper... — Lauren B.
• Lawmakers declared war on West Virginia. Those who support the current administration (and pay taxes) will now be supporting us coal miners on the first of the month — Greg B.
• People around here are used to “climate change,” we call it spring, summer, fall and winter! —Jim H.
• We pump all that stuff in the air and eliminate most of the world’s trees then have the arrogance to say we don’t have any affect..... :/ — Dave H.
• Worry more about people working and putting food on their kids’ plates. What happens to the climate is in God’s hands! — Sandy B.
On if a college education is worth the high cost:
• Hell no — Thomas L.
• Ditto Thomas! — Amy N.
• No, but nowadays no collage, no decent paying job in most cases — David B.
• Better off with vo-tech — Karen B.
• Yes, worth every penny. There’s no way I could make the money I do now without my degree — Danielle B.
• No! My daughter went five years and can’t find a job with her degree — Nora A.
• Sadly, many businesses will not hire you without a degree. Then once you’re hired, you find out that the degree you paid for or took a loan out for didn’t prepare you for the skill set the job requires ... — Greg H.
On the rescue of a woman from a Wythe County cave:
• Yes, that’s Wytheville, Va., good-hearted people — John L.
On how often you travel to the beach:
• Not enough — Sherry B.
• At least once a year —Danielle B.
• Never — Kathy H.
• There now ... I could live at the beach! So peaceful :) — Lisa B.
On your money-saving tips for vacation:
• Camp — John L.
• Go to local events ... — Jason C.
• Stay with a relative who lives near an amusement park, etc. — Bridgett J.
On a state of emergency being declared in McDowell County due to significant flooding damage:
• Prayers to all family and friends that I have there — Donna S.
• Got a lot of buds down that way ... prayers — Greg. B.
On your favorite camp when growing up:
• Thomas E. Lightfoot camp — Janet M.
• Girl Scout camp in Rocky Gap and Basketball Camp at Concord — Angie W.
• Christian Acres — Barbara A.