— — A selection of reader comments from our Facebook page last week:
On a story about a woman who drove on a sidewalk being sentenced to holding an “idiot” sign:
• She should have gotten jail time and a month of carrying that sign with her name as the “idiot.” What would she have gotten if someone had darted on the sidewalk and were killed? — Shirley M.
On a question asking whether “Frankenstorm” and Sandy are proof of climate change:
• Climate change is a fact. We can debate whether we humans are causing it or exacerbating its effects all day, and nobody’s minds will be changed. But denying that it is happening (regardless of cause) is an example of willful ignorance — Jeremy C.
• To say that the earth’s climate changes is like saying the sky is blue. To say that man is causing the change is a fairy tale. P.S. Hurricanes existed before Al Gore invented global warming. — Harry R.
• The weather is cyclical. Same type in 1950’s — Sherry K.
• I would only add that their denial of man-made climate change is simply ignorant. To ignore the fact that seven million people use fossil fuels to heat their homes, fuel their automobiles and run their factories and power plants is typical of right-wingers who have never found a profitable poison they couldn’t support. With all of their empty talk of wanting their children to be free of our financial debts (you know, the ones the right wing created by giving tax breaks to the wealthy and enthralling the American people with xenophobic lies to get their support for illegal wars) they have absolutely zero concerns about those children living in an uninhabitable world. Ignorance, thy name is conservatism. — Jonathan S.
• There is a Youtube video showing some kind of chemical dumping on the actual storm radar, which looks like the beginning of the storm. Then it follows heavy trails up the coast. So maybe the storm was man-made. Funny it happened right at election time — Mike F.
• We are approaching that point in climate change research when the evidence is so overwhelming that the most skeptic nuts will have no choice but to concede to science — Bill M.
• There was a really good documentary that explained how we have affected climate change. It was by Tom Brokaw (I believe it was) the History Channel — Dave H.
• The Lord God controls the weather. He is just trying to get our attention — Jeanne L.
• Regardless of whether you believe in climate change or not all the things that are regulated are proven to be bad for all life forms so it is a mute argument — Joshua H.