A selection of reader comments from our Facebook page last week and this week:
On a story about a rural school district planning to arm a handful of its non-teaching employees with handguns this year, perhaps even janitors, and whether you think this is a good idea:
• That’s stupid, utilize our best options. Arm and hire retired state troopers and service men — those whom have shown they are capable of the job! — Jeanne L.
• I agree with retired police and military. They would do a fine job. Just imagine how many jobs that would create across America — Canaan S.
• Hello — the school system cannot even afford books for our children. Where is the money gonna come from to hire these troopers or military? — Seth A.
• This is all ridiculous. Budget cuts have taken out music and art classes. Fire instructional aides who can help teachers in overcrowded classrooms, we can’t buy new books or supplies, all kids do not get free lunch, teachers are let go due to budget cuts and a one in a million nut job comes out to create a heinous crime and everybody wants to spend school money to buy guns, take weapon classes or hire armed guards. How about we use a little bit of money for better security systems and locks in the doors, alarms and cameras. How about we better train staff on emergencies and train them to keep their classroom doors locked and closed at all times as they should. Use some common sense. Our kids go to school to learn in a safe environment not be scared to death of looking at armed guards and guns all day. We are not dreaming Russia or China or some crazy war torn country. Being scared could make
kids want to stay home or become sick from worry. Start out with common sense plans — Stephanie D.
• Good idea — Danny L.
• You have janitors already there, why not? — Debbie R.
• I think it’s a great idea — Annette P.
• Great idea as long as they make sure the person they are arming won’t become a chicken and run the other way or a hot head — Jean J.
• Yea ... I really want an armed janitor around my child — Leah P.
• I think teachers and principals, and anyone in the school, should have background checks and then be given concealed weapon permits. That criminal shooting crap would then stop. Plus put in a metal detector at entrances. Better yet all law abiding Americans need a concealed weapons permit and learn to be packin at all times. Then these criminals would be afraid to do anything to people. Jails wouldn’t be over run! — Delta F.
• Why not give guns to janitors? They already have all the keys — William Y.