— A selection of reader comments from our Facebook page last week:
On your favorite school lunch:
• Pigs in a blanket and spaghetti at EJHS — Marie D.
• Anything the cooks actually made ... not already frozen from the high-fat stores. Today, they only heat up the frozen food and that is just not healthy — Bev O.
• Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches — Mary Liz H.
• Strawberry shortcake day. No student from Montcalm Elementary in the 1970s would disagree — Joe H.
On schools cuts in Tazewell County and how schools should tighten their belts:
• I don’t get why we allow cuts to the most important programs. While we are cutting funds for education and taking away people’s rights, we are funding prisons and protecting their rights. SMH. America and her priorities — Melissa F.
• If they cut anymore our kids are gonna be screwed. Last year they lost behind the wheel. The state focuses so much on SOL scores that these kids don’t know the real stuff. I’ve seen so many leave school that can’t spell or write in cursive let alone print better than a first grader. Then adding more junk classes instead of focusing on things like math, English, reading and science. The basics — Jamie L.
On cats facing euthanasia at the Mercer County Animal Shelter:
• If people had them spayed or neutered then there wouldn’t be this problem — Jarrod M.
• You sure they weren’t just trying to scare up a few more adoptions? — Derek Z.
• I agree with Derek. It seems to me that if they were truly trying to save these animals that during a time of crisis they would be giving them away or at least adopting them out at a reduced rate — Nicole H.
On plans for Princeton’s Mercer Street project:
• So proud! Looking to do what I can to help. — Nancy B.