— — A selection of reader comments from our Facebook page last week:
On whether you think Area 51 has aliens or UFOs hidden within, and if you believe there is life in outer space:
• I think it is only just a secret government testing site, I don’t think aliens are there — Angela G.
• It is the epitome of human arrogance to presume that we are the only so-called intelligent beings in the universe — Bev O.
• Well, no! Of course not. Life out there? Probably. Life “as we know it?” Doubtful. “Intelligent life?” Not intelligent enough to defy the laws of physics and travel faster than light! Not gonna happen — Garland R.
• May I add there is no intelligent life in some areas of this planet ... Kaye L.
On how you feel about standardized testing, and if it is an accurate measurement of the students’ performance:
• They are useful tools, nothing more, and certainly shouldn’t be used on their own — Jadzia N.
• We are all not alike! Why test by the same test! Duh! It only stifles our youth and gets wayyyyyyy too much emphasis — Margaret B.
• My opinion — standardized tests are worthless as indicators of subject knowledge. They merely show how well the teacher prepared the class for the test... — Jeff M.
• I hate them. I never did well because I got bored with them. I always did well with regular pop quizzes and tests and had good grades — Chrissy C.
• Standardized tests only show how well some students can take a test. Teachers with high test scores in their classroom receive the pennies, while teachers with low-testing students catch the crap — Bill S.
On your thoughts on assisted suicide:
• If I should need — or simply want — to end my life, how is that any of your business? — Jonathan S.
• Pull my plug — Steven R.