BLUEFIELD — A selection of reader comments from our Facebook page last week:
On the hiring of Jim Ferguson as the new city manager of Bluefield.
• Hey! Congratulations to Jim. Great guy — Lecia S.
• Jim will do a great job for Bluefield — Richard L.
On a question asking where were you during the 9/11 terror attacks in 2001?
• I was at a patient house. He was getting ready for therapy. Didn’t go so we set all day in front of television in Bluefield — Faith C.
On a story about efforts by the Hooters restaurant chain to attract not only men, but also women.
• They were able to operate during the years where money flowed by offering guys beer and pretty girls but serving less than average food. Now that people demand more for their money they are spending it elsewhere — Jimmy O.
• Still an awful place and I would never take my family there — Kim H.
• My kids love to eat there — Sherry J.
• Perhaps if they had a decent menu they would have more customers. I never minded going there but I hate their food — Dreama A.
On a story about a judge getting 30 days in jail for growing pot.
• So he gets 30 days. Why so he can make sure his system is clean so he can pass a drug test? — Lovietta T.
• The article does not say anything about him testing positive for drugs to begin with — Courtney D.
• That was a sarcastic remark, thank you very much. Doesn’t matter if he was growing it, smoking it, or just had the seeds in his hands. If it would have been anyone else they wouldn’t have got off that easy — Lovietta T.
On Virginia offering a new discount phone service to low income residents.
• I rather the government and the Federal Communications Commission look into these outrageous cell phone bills and contracts — Chrissy C.