Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV

December 22, 2012

Loss drops Marshall women to 6-6 record

Wire report
Bluefield Daily Telegraph

HUNTINGTON — A battle in the blocks came out in favor of the road team, Tennessee Tech, on Saturday afternoon at Marshall University.

T’Keyah Williams made eight of 10 field goal attempts and scored 18 points as the TTU Golden Eagles women’s team beat the Thundering Herd 67-60.

Both teams scored over 42 points inside the paint. Marshall (6-6) earned 44 points inside the post and had three forwards score double-digit points. Tennessee Tech (6-6) held a thin 36 to 33 rebounding advantage.

Leandra King came off the Marshall bench to score a career-high 16 points, going 5-for-7 from the field and 6-of-7 from the free throw line. She added seven rebounds and had two blocks.

Chukwuka Ezeigbo and Suporia Dickens followed with 12 points each. Both players tied King as top rebounder, grabbing seven boards each.

Marshall made 1 of 12 shots from behind the three-point arc. “It’s pretty frustrating,” said Marshall head coach Matt Daniel on the school’s athletics website. “I can’t stand losing, but if you look at it, aside from the West Virginia and the Marquette game, we are in every game. We got down 15 here and fought back.

“We show spurts, but over the long haul, break downs kill us. Lack of focus and toughness kills us. We have to continue to get tough and develop this team.”

Marshall earned 22 of its 27 first half points inside the paint, 11 from King. Accurate shooting from the field helped the Golden Eagles take a 34-29 advantage at the half.

The Herd defense was able to force 11 Golden Eagle turnovers in the opening period, but could only turn the TTU mistakes into 10 points off of turnovers.

Marshall was never able to bounce back from the first half deficit and trailed for the rest of the game. Dickens earned all 12 of her points in the second half. Tennessee Tech earned six steals in the period and forced 11 Marshall turnovers to help keep a lead over the Herd for the final 20 minutes.

Marshall will next travel to Annapolis, Md. to take on Navy a week from today.