NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y. -- A man riding a lawnmower hit an undetonated canister where a fireworks show had been staged, resulting in an explosion that left him injured.
The accident happened at the Seneca Niagara Casino. The employee was treated at the hospital for a leg injury that was considered nonlife-threatening.
The fire department had provided protection during the casino's July 3 fireworks show.
"It's the responsibility of the (company that stages the fireworks show) to sweep the zone afterward and make sure it's completely cleaned up," Fire Chief Tom Colangelo said. "We asked them if there were any unfired rounds and we got an 'all clear' from them."
Colangelo said the incident is being treated as an accident and said neither the casino nor the fireworks company would face any charges as a result of the explosion.
Details for this story were provided by the Niagara (N.Y.) Gazette.