KaDue Yang, 23, a resident of an upstairs unit, told the Joplin Globe she heard a smoke alarm go off in the building about 3 a.m., and thought a neighbor might have burned something while cooking for Thanksgiving.
But then she heard a woman yelling for her family to get out. Yang awakened her 2-year-old son and opened her apartment door only to be greeted by flames shooting out the door from across the hall.
Yang said the heat was intense as she and her son made their way down the stairs and outdoors.
"The fire took over the building," she said.
Details for this story were provided by the Barry County Sheriff's Office, The Springfield News-Leader and the Joplin Globe.